Dr. Spence Talks Discipline, Technology, the Arts

Aniyah Lewis

Last year, Tallwood had the honor both of hosting, and being hosted by, Superintendent Dr. Spence. Both times, a variety of topics were discussed, ranging from availability of chromebooks to school start times.

On Wednesday, May 17th, The Roaring Gazette was given another opportunity to sit down with Dr. Spence and ask him the questions that Tallwood, and other high school communities, have been anxious to hear the answers to.

The disproportionality among suspensions is no new topic. Dr. Spence has repeatedly acknowledged that African-American males are referred and suspended at higher rates than any other student demographic. To combat this systemic issue, the Student Discipline Task Force was assembled.

When questioned about the progress, Dr. Spence claims, “We’ve done quite a bit of work with our administrators and [are] beginning to have conversations at the school level about things like being aware of implicit bias, being aware of your school’s equity story, which basically means knowing who’s in your building and what does that look like and what does that mean in terms of how you interact with your students, and then we’ve also been doing quite a bit of work with what’s called Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports.”

Their work in rewiring the system into being “proactive” rather than “reactive” has brought down suspensions and referrals. However, there are still gaps in the suspension rates, and Dr. Spence intends to narrow them.

The school system is also hard at work to ensure that technology is ubiquitous within schools. Schools have already begun to undergo technological advancement, such as the provision of chromebooks to all social studies classes, and constant access to iPads in English classes.

Schools can only expect greater and greater exposure to technology, as everyday access to technology for learning purposes has become a greatly emphasized portion of the curriculum. According to Dr. Spence, “We need to get out of the twentieth century. We should make sure that you have technology in your hands on a daily basis.”

As we travel further into the 21st century, Dr. Spence assures the public that some of our most sacred 20th century programs will not be forsaken, particularly, the Arts. Members of the community have always expressed concern when they catch wind of rumors about budgeting. However, Virginia Beach was one of the school systems not to cut funding for the Arts departments during the recession.

Advocates for the Arts and students involved in these programs need not worry for the future of such programs, as Dr. Spence asserts, “I will unequivocally state: The Arts will continue to be a part of our school division.”

While students wish for certain programs to stay in place, they have also pined for certain procedures to change. Make up days is a hot topic at the lunch table. With questions such as “Why do we have to make up every single hour of every single snow day?” and “Why doesn’t Norfolk or Portsmouth or Chesapeake?” This falls under the category of seat time.

Seat Time refers to the structure of a school system’s calendar. Each system measures instructional time in one of two ways. Some, such as Chesapeake, count all of the time in the school day, even the time in between classes. There are others, such as Virginia Beach, who do not. Consequently, when a snow day arises for Virginia Beach, there are not as many hours packed in, for the school system to waive make up days. New legislation could change that.

Dr. Spence proclaims, “If it’s legislated … we’ll have more time built in than we need, so we’ll have that flexibility.”

Change and continuity are integral parts of education, always operating cohesively with one another. Dr. Spence intends to keep us marching into the future, yet never straying too far from the age-old tactics that make the Virginia Beach City Public Schools System what it is today.

Below are the stories featured in the June 12 issue of The Roaring Gazette.

Dr. Spence Talks Discipline, Technology, the Arts by Aniyah Lewis

Senior Prom Lives up to Expectations by Kayla Smith

No More AP Summer Assignments for Tallwood Students by Cassidy O’Neal

Mixed Feelings on “Fidget Spinners” by Elena Day

Meet a Lion: Mr. Matthew Denvir by Ophelia Reid

Dear Incoming Freshmen: Enjoy the Next Four Years by Marissa Howell

Apple Watch Impresses by Dylan Klepk

Recap: 1st Day of Passing League by Richard Ruffin

Classic Game Review: Dead Rising by Charles Romano

Rap’s Resident Genius Strikes Again by Erin Nathan

In space, no one can hear you sigh… by Austin Luciani