Recap: 1st Day of Passing League

Richard Ruffin

Fresh turf, fresh cleats, new gloves, and the start of a new season scratched the surface last Wednesday at 5p.m. @ Kellam High School; after an 8-3 season in 2016 the Lions are back and better.

The new look Lions are laced with is experience, with many players who have been Varsity starters since their Freshman or Sophomore years. Returning the whole secondary, Ricky Harleston, Jalon Johnson, Cato Battle, and Chaequan Boyd all started last year and all want a taste of another winning season.

Zaikee Stelly is new to the Lions’ defense but fits very well, his range at the safety position compliments Harleston’s aggressive game. The Lions stingy defense looked good providing a lot of coverage sacks, recording seven interceptions on the day along with good coverage overall.

The offense was ran VERY well by Junior quarterback Sebien Stone. He threw many good passes as well as zero interceptions in 5 games played. His receivers also did a good job locating and catching his passes, making his questionable plays golden.

Josh Lucas and Steve Rossero are some quiet sleepers, they both get open and make tough grabs. Carlos Ramos is a newcomer that is very skilled. His basketball past speaks for his athleticism and his solid 6’1 frame makes it hard for many to truly match up. On the inside, more athletic than many linebackers and bigger than most safeties, Lamarr Gilbert is still an absolute matchup nightmare.

With that much athleticism on the field, it makes the Lions able to matchup with anyone. Coach Carlos Martinez simply stated, “We were without a doubt, THE MOST athletic team on the field last week. This team is different, and it will be hard for teams to ‘out athlete’ us like they have in past years. With a couple changes, athleticism, mental toughness and competition at its best, there is no reason why we should lose one game at passing league.”

Below are the stories featured in the June 12 issue of The Roaring Gazette.

Dr. Spence Talks Discipline, Technology, the Arts by Aniyah Lewis

Senior Prom Lives up to Expectations by Kayla Smith

No More AP Summer Assignments for Tallwood Students by Cassidy O’Neal

Mixed Feelings on “Fidget Spinners” by Elena Day

Meet a Lion: Mr. Matthew Denvir by Ophelia Reid

Dear Incoming Freshmen: Enjoy the Next Four Years by Marissa Howell

Apple Watch Impresses by Dylan Klepk

Recap: 1st Day of Passing League by Richard Ruffin

Classic Game Review: Dead Rising by Charles Romano

Rap’s Resident Genius Strikes Again by Erin Nathan

In space, no one can hear you sigh… by Austin Luciani