Tallwood Field Hockey Starts 12th Year of Raking Fundraising

Arie Navarrete, Staff Writer

On December 3rd, Tallwood’s field hockey team commenced with their 12th year of raking local lawns for fundraising.  For three Saturdays out of the month of December, in addition to a few after-school sessions, THS Field Hockey has raked in neighborhoods surrounding Tallwood High.  Each Saturday, around eleven houses are split between two teams: field hockey and gymnastics, who has only started the raking tradition just last year.  

Though this fundraiser requires a lot of hard work, Ms. Platte, coach of THS Varsity Field Hockey team, says, “…This is a great fundraiser, in addition to the cookie sales.  It gives the community a sense that Tallwood students are willing to help…”

Members of the field hockey team and the gymnastics team have come together, offering time out of their Saturdays, to rake and bag countless amounts of leaves.  The process varies, depending on the yard, but each house typically takes about an hour.  The raking begins around 8 a.m., and finishes around 2 p.m.. Although they had to persevere through nippy weather, poopy yards, and sore bodies, the girls enjoyed the overall experience.

Caitlyn Anderson, a sophomore student at Tallwood, remarks, “It was tough, but I’m glad to have spent an amazing weekend with some amazing teammates.”  

The fundraiser is mutually beneficial in that, not only do they get to work to fund their next season, they get to help where they can, and do what they can.  On December 10th, some girls got to help out a 102 year old woman whose children didn’t have the time to.

“…Helping our community and touching other people is what it’s all about,” says Sarah Hafley.