The student news site of Tallwood High School

Roaring Gazette

• December 31Want to join the Roaring Gazette? Sign up for Journalism class!
  • January 11See Mr. Denvir in rm. A 109 for information about joining the school newspaper!

Roaring Gazette

Roaring Gazette

Meet a Lion: Mrs. Fail

Eva Valdez
Mrs. Fail poses in front of her classroom bookshelf.

“…There’s no other teacher in the building that I really feel like I could go to to talk about current events, or about references in the media or anything,” said Dorian Muncy, Sophomore and member of the Global Studies and World Languages Academy. “She understands the stakes; she understands the perspective of the students.”

These flattering words are a taste of public opinion surrounding Mrs. Renee Fail, the teacher of World Literature & Composition I, the Academy equivalent to 9th grade English, who is well known as a young and passionate educator.

Fail was born in Dinwiddie, Virginia, where she was raised for the first six years of her life until her family moved to upstate New York. When she was 11, she and her family returned to Virginia, settling in Virginia Beach to be closer to family.

As a student, Fail always enjoyed teaching, tutoring students and teaching Sunday school when she could. She recounted to the Roaring Gazette how her own teachers inspired her to pursue a career in education, instilling a lifelong passion for teaching in the structured setting of public schools.

Despite this, teaching wasn’t always Fail’s goal; during her time studying at Regent University, she changed majors multiple times, initially expecting to pursue a career in international relations, but soon considering other ideas with her love for language and interest in government. Ultimately, Fail settled on English, which she received a Bachelor’s degree in with a concentration in Secondary Education.

Fail began teaching in 2022, coincidentally at the age of 22, and is no stranger to being thought of as “the young teacher.” Fail commented that being a young teacher has been advantageous in many ways, allowing her to understand the slang and references of her students, and to build a strong bond amongst her students in the classroom. In fact, Fail even has a public TikTok account that she uses to publish content related to her work as an educator.

“It’s easier for me to make things engaging and relevant because I come from the same generation as a lot of my students,” said Fail, elaborating on her teaching.

Almost every interviewee highlighted exactly what Fail explained, with Ana Narimanidze, an Academy 10th grader, saying that, “I think it’s her age, and being on the younger side, and relating to her students more,” upon being asked what makes Fail a unique teacher.

Despite the clear advantages of teaching the same generation that you come from, there are still issues that can arise. Fail pointed out, for example, that it can be difficult to set healthy boundaries with students, considering the small age gap. Fail quickly realized the need to set her own Instagram account as ‘private’ in order to create a separation between her work and personal life. 

Fail also remarked on how she has improved in setting boundaries as of late, commenting that the simple act of referring to her by a title and by surname creates a sense of seniority, and that something as simple as how she carries herself and manages her classroom goes a long way in ensuring that she receives respect as a teacher, not as a peer.

Her acclimation to this necessary setting of boundaries was not instant, however. Fail remarked that, as she has accrued more experience, she has become better at creating these boundaries.

Despite the experience she now has, Fail is still a new teacher, and clearly recognizes that. When asked what the greatest mistake a teacher can make in their teaching style is, Fail initially showed reluctance to deal in absolutes.

“It’s hard to say the greatest mistake, because I don’t know if I’m at a point yet where I can say what is the biggest mistake,” said Fail.

Despite this, Fail did share with the Roaring Gazette her own opinion on one of the greatest mistakes a teacher can make.

“Prioritizing entertainment over actual learning experiences,” opined Fail. “Movies have their place, but just watching movies, or just playing games isn’t going to be the most beneficial learning experience.”

Fail also highlighted the need to “[find] a balance,” between entertainment and learning.

“Not everything is going to be entertaining,” Fail said. “Sometimes learning isn’t always comfortable, but it’s always beneficial.” Still, Fail does attempt to make learning enjoyable and engaging for students by incorporating cooperative learning, allowing for choices, and reading more recent and relatable books, and students have taken notice.

“I think her teaching style is great. She makes the assignments fun, I’ve never been bored- Okay, I have been bored doing her assignments, but…” said Ana Narimanidze, also a former student of Mrs. Fail.

It can be easy for students to forget that their teachers have lives outside the classroom, and Fail is no exception. When asked, Fail shared her love for climbing, especially bouldering, as well as gaming, such as multiplayer video games including Stardew Valley, Minecraft, Roblox, and Pump It Up.

Fail also has a passion for gardening, even sponsoring the Tallwood Garden Club.

For any Academy students who might be interested in getting to know this unique teacher, she is the teacher for Creative Writing & Global Media Analysis, a year-long GSWLA course for those with a passion for literature. 

“Strongly recommend you guys join it! Shameless plug, yeah!” said Dorian Muncy, who is currently taking the course.