Students Who Work: A Student Perspective

Casper Wagner, Staff Writer

As we get older we start to think, “Hm, I should get a job,” whether you just want to get out of the house, want extra cash, or maybe your parents aren’t going to pay for gas money.

When students get jobs, it’s common knowledge that fast food is a popular route (I mean, free food is really nice), or clothing stores if you’re fancy.

To see what it’s like, let me introduce you all to Calie Patton, a Tallwood Junior who works at a hair salon. Most of us are now going to wonder, “Why here instead of fast food or hot topic?” She responded with a simple, “Because I didn’t want to work in fast food. It pays well, the manager offered me the job, and she said she would do my hair for free.” She is obviously one of the more lucky ones as most people have to go through the process of having a resume and maybe an interview if the resume is decent. Unlike some people, she isn’t pressured into having a job; she is doing it for the extra money. I mean, money is nice.

Although it can be a stressful for Calie. She says, “Oh yeah, I take three AP classes so the stress is real.” Even though it is stressful, should we at least have a job in high school/college? Calie Patton says, “I think that if you can handle school and a job at the same time and you want to earn a little extra cash, then sure, go for it. Although it’s also okay to wait until after school because school can be a lot to handle. I think every high school/college student should at least get a summer job though.”

When we finish high school, we are expected to go straight into college and plunge into student debt. Although in other countries it is seen as culturally acceptable to take a year off to work and travel a little bit to find out what they want to do in life. When Calie was asked about this, she responded, “I think that’s awesome if you want to give yourself a break and travel or save money for college. You really get to find yourself and discover what you want to do with your life by traveling and seeing what’s out there. Yes I think it should be accepted it actually sounds like a smart idea if you’re someone who doesn’t know what they want to do/where they want to go to college.”

Whether we work during school or after university, we eventually have to work, but try not to overload yourself.