The student news site of Tallwood High School

Roaring Gazette

• December 31Want to join the Roaring Gazette? Sign up for Journalism class!
  • January 11See Mr. Denvir in rm. A 109 for information about joining the school newspaper!

Roaring Gazette

Roaring Gazette

Beyond the Screen: Understanding the Disruptive Role of Social Media in Modern Relationships

In this current era surrounded by digital connectivity, social media has become a major part of daily life. However, social media has drawbacks, specifically when it comes to relationships. Social media can have detrimental effects on relationships:  fostering unrealistic expectations, ruining trust and communication, and all of which lead to conflict and dissatisfaction overall. 

According to a study published in Computers in Human Behavior, individuals who frequently engage with social media platforms tend to experience lower levels of relationship satisfaction compared to those who use it less frequently or not at all. The constant exposure to curated and exaggerated portrayals of relationships on social media platforms can lead individuals to develop unrealistic expectations and standards for their relationships. This can create a sense of inadequacy and dissatisfaction within relationships, ultimately straining the bond between partners. Social media has shaped how we interact, communicate, and perceive relationships. — Social media has a detrimental impact on relationships by fostering feelings of jealousy, and insecurity, leading to distracted communication and decreased intimacy. Diving into how social media usage affects relationship dynamics, communication patterns, and overall satisfaction among couples. Also sheds light on the impact of social media on modern relationships with the complexities and challenges of digital connectivity, while discussing the detrimental effects of social media on relationships. Study shows that frequent engagement with (SM) can lead to decreased happiness and conflict. 

Some may argue that social media can facilitate communication and provide opportunities for shared experiences, thereby enhancing relationships. While there may be some truth to this argument, the negative consequences of social media on relationships far outweigh any potential benefits. The detrimental impact of unrealistic expectations, jealousy, and distracted communication cannot be ignored or understated. While it is true that social media usage has been linked to lower levels of relationship satisfaction and the development of unrealistic standards, it is important to also acknowledge that social media can have positive effects on relationships. For instance, social media platforms provide opportunities for couples to connect and stay in touch, especially in long-distance relationships. It allows partners to share experiences, photos, and memories that can strengthen their bond, while also being used as a platform for couples to express affection and support publicly which can reinforce their commitment to each other.

As highlighted in the article from WFLA, social media can exacerbate feelings of jealousy and insecurity within a relationship said by. Individuals may compare their own lives and partnerships to the curated and exaggerated representations of others on social media, leading to feelings of inadequacy and mistrust and overall dissatisfaction with their relationships. This comparison results in suspicion and mistrust as said, partially if partners perceive interactions with others on social media as flirtatious or inappropriate.  

The constant distractions and interruptions caused by social media can detract from meaningful face-to-face communication and intimate bonds between partners. This decline in satisfaction can lead to heightened tension and conflict within relationships undermining the stability and happiness of these relationships. Moreover, distracted communication and decreased intimacy can further exacerbate feelings of inadequacy and dissatisfaction with one’s partner, leading to a vicious cycle of discontent.

The extended influence of social media poses significant challenges to modern relationships. From the fostering of unrealistic expectations to the strong feelings of jealousy and insecurity, social media undermines the foundations of healthy relationships. While there is good, the bad overturns it all, it is essential to recognize the detrimental effects of social media on relationships and to strive for moderation and balance with its usage.