Lions Football Begins Off-Season

Richard Ruffin

After a playoff appearance in 2016, the Tallwood Lion’s Varsity football team is back on the field participating in a series of 7-on-7 scrimmages titled “Passing League” happening every Wednesday until the first couple weeks into summer break.

In 2016 the Lion’s relied on a physical defense and a dangerous rushing attack. In 2017 the Tallwood coaching staff looks to improve on all cylinders.

Sebien Stone will generate the Lion’s offense after backing up graduating senior Adrion Wilson. Stone appears to be on the right track making all the tough throws, putting the ball where only his man can grab it.

Rising Senior Lamarr Gilbert says he’s feeling better than ever. Earning three scholarship offers in the last week, it appears that confidence came with it.

“Getting my first couple offers meant a lot. I am very thankful, but now that I have a couple I want more,” says Gilbert.

Gilbert will move from wide-receiver to inside the hash at tight-end. With his 6’3 260lb frame, he is an aggressive pass catcher who showed willingness to block off the edge which explains his new role.

“He (Gilbert) will be a force this year; he will serve as our “H” and we will put him in positions to make big plays often,” says Coach Carlos Martinez.

On the defensive side of the ball, defensive backs Ricky Harleston and Jalon Johnson will lead the secondary and Kyree Abdullah will man the middle at the “mike” linebacker spot.

Rising Junior safety, Ricky Harleston, has stamped his name in the Tallwood defense, he’s a two-year starter on varsity with plenty of game experience.

“He’s a DUDE, he’s humble but he plays with an edge, with a chip on his shoulder. He can cover and he can play in the box,” says Coach Martinez.

The 2017 Tallwood Lions debuted last Thursday against Green Run High School and they performed very well, with minor mistakes and consistent play out of Stone, who threw no interceptions the whole scrimmage; another playoff appearance is almost certain for them.

Below are the stories featured in the May 19 Issue of The Roaring Gazette.

What Administration Learned from the Test Lunches by Kayla Smith

U.S. News: Tallwood 39th Best High School in Virginia by Kayla Smith

Students Bring Passion for Fashion to Tallwood Show by Ariana Hernandez

Yearbooks to Arrive in Early June by Elena Day

Junior Fun Night Lives up to its Name by Cassidy O’Neal

Meet Two Lions: Mrs. Lizan and Mrs. Bankes by Sydney McKissick

Mr. Justin Goldstine: Tallwood’s Fixer by Ophelia Reid

Lions Football Begin Off-Season by Richard Ruffin

Tallwood High School Sports Update by Tyler Dennis

Dress Code Should be Fairly Administered by Amari McCoy

How to Make Seniors’ Lives Easier by Marissa Howell

ISIS Must be Defeated by Dylan Klepk

Baby Groot the Highlight of Latest MARVEL Crown Pleaser by Austin Luciani

“Mob of the Dead” a Haunting Addition to “Call of Duty” Franchise by Charles Romano

Rather Rick Ross than Drake by Erin Nathan