African Cafe Educates and Entertains

Donyale Wright, Staff Writer

On Wednesday, January 25th, Tallwood had its 2nd annual African Cafe, and it was a complete success. The club had guest speakers come to inform students about the African culture such as the different languages they speak, the clothing they wear, and the type of food they consume.

Something most found most interesting was when one of the guest speakers taught attendants to say simple phrases, such as “Hello” and “Goodbye,” in her native language.  Students were fascinated by the different sounds that the words had made when she spoke.  Another guest speaker explained the meaning of the different dance moves that are performed during religious ceremonies and celebrations.

“I think the cafe was really good. I received a better understanding about the African culture” said Taquoia Kilby, Tallwood Sophomore.  “I also realized that everything in Africa is not the same and that there are many different languages spoken throughout the continent.”  

There was a variety of food at the cafe, such as different types of rice and cooked plantains.

Participants would certainly encourage other Tallwood students to come to the next African Cafe, which is usually held in January after students come back from winter break.  One will learn many things about the African culture and the African continent itself.