Dear Freshmen and Sophomores,

Destiny Smith, Staff Writer

Junior year is hectic and nearly everyone knows it, but there are some things that, even when you are midway through Junior year, you just aren’t sure about. Despite some things being plainly obvious, we as students are generally stubborn and refuse to acknowledge that the ways we are going about things aren’t necessarily good for us. So, in honor of common student mistakes and struggles, a table of Juniors gives you advice:

Do all work, on time.

A regret multiple people had was falling behind on work, or holding off until the point of no return. Hayden Daniels said “Don’t do anything last minute,” which led into a response by Nina Palat, “you need the sleep.” Overall, everyone was very unhappy about their progress over the years, and the recent influx of work during Junior year crippled them, most especially when they had already grown accustomed to putting everything off until last minute. In the beginning, not doing that homework or waiting to start that project seems perfectly fine, but your third year is completely different, and you’ll drain yourself finishing all the work at once.

“Stay organized,

and keep everything.” Nina Palat emphasizes. “You never know what’s going to be important.” That binder you just stuff everything in and never use the rings of? Not going to work well. Studying is a must, and while knowing where you put things when you first put them there is good and all, but it won’t help in the long run. What good is a study guide if you have no idea where it is? Life is made so much easier when, instead of hunting down homework, you know exactly where it is. You don’t want to lose an important paper to the abyss that is your backpack.

Balance Your Classes

A general rule that many in this year’s Junior class has accepted is “2 or more AP classes if you know you can balance it with anything outside of school and study; 2 or less if you know you have too much.” As Hayden Daniels says this, the rest of the table nod their heads, and Nina Palat tags on, ever persistent about sleep.  “Won’t do you any good to be constantly tired because of all your work.” Quite simply, you know your own limits, and you set the guidelines, but you need to make sure you stick to a point you know you can handle.

Plan Ahead 

“You got to start looking now.” Emily Birkler says, “It’s never too early, especially since this is the year colleges are looking at you.” Junior year is the year, that dreadful but satisfying year in which you discover that it’s almost time to become an adult. You take the SAT, the ACT, and you build that list for the beginning of Senior year. Colleges, colleges, and even more colleges.  It seems extremely overwhelming, but it’s worth it to start now. Most deadlines for college applications are due in January of Senior year, and you don’t want to be at a loss for which one and only have a few months left to pick. And, for goodness’ sake if you are lost,

Ask For Help

Everyone gets stuck at some point, and you have plenty of resources here at Tallwood, so don’t be afraid to use them. “You’ll regret it if you don’t say anything,” Hayden remarks. You shouldn’t suffer in silence, especially if you have reached the most vital and hardest year out of the four. Ask questions to whomever you want, and don’t hold back.  Junior year is the year you need the help the most.