Senior Projects Tackle Pressing Issues

Kayla Smith

During their Senior year, Tallwood Highs Global Studies Academy students create and present a Senior Project of their choosing.

At Tallwood, the academy students have to create a plan and an action about an issue that relates globally and hopefully personally to them. These projects range anywhere from “How to Teach Kindness in the Classroom” to “Cultural Appropriation vs. Cultural Appreciation.” Students begin their plan in the beginning of the school year and have to write a research paper proposing and explaining their issue in the first quarter. Around January, they will then propose their action (what they will do to solve their proposed issue) and begin taking effect working towards their final presentation at the end of the year.

Abbie Watkins, Senior and Workshop Coordinator at Tallwood High says, “My topic is Cultural Appropriation vs. Cultural Appreciation.”

Cultural Appropriation is, by definition, the adoption or use of the elements of one culture by members of another culture. Culture Appreciation is learning about another culture with respect and courtesy.

Watkins continued on to say, “Cultural Appropriation is current right now, and a lot of trends have been influenced by cultural attire. So, a lot of t-shirts, kimonos, and head dresses that we wear and think are cute, have been and are inspired by traditional cultural wear.”

Most do not understand, nor care about, the implications associated with Cultural Appropriation.

“At the beginning … I never really thought appropriation was a huge deal. Like, I had a huge ‘white perspective,’ on it. Like, who cares? And that was very naive of me. But, it’s crazy how all the research I have done has really changed my opinion on it. So, now I do believe it reflects my beliefs.”

Along with topic for Senior Projects comes the research question that revolves around that topic.

Christina Zendzian, Senior at Tallwood High says, “My research question was ‘What are the benefits and barriers of teaching comprehensive Sex Ed in American and Japanese Public Schools?’ Because in America we are so focused on abstinence only Sex Education, which completely invalidates all sorts of topics in Sex Education. With it (abstinence only ed) not being relevant, it becomes harmful in the long run.”

Sex Education in public schools is split and informative to a certain extent. From Fifth grade to Tenth grade, public schools teach the same material annually. Along with this very persistent curriculum, young men and young women are split into two separate classrooms.

“I believe that everyone should have equal access to information in their education. Also, that students should have the opportunity to first get that information and then make their own judgments, opinions, and values because they know all sides. It should not just be the school system shoving down information to believe one thing [abstinence] vs. the other,” says Zendzian, who also plans to continue to work with Planned Parenthood to advocate further for this cause.

Byron Mitchell, a Mathematics teacher at Tallwood High School, helped out his advisee (Senior working on their project) to connect with the Elementary School at which the advisee does their action.

Parris Sanders, Senior and Co-OSCAR at Tallwood High, says, “I contacted a bunch of Elementary Schools, like teachers, to see if they would be willing to do my action. But my advisor had a teacher [at Centerville Elementary], so it was easy to contact him.”

Her action revolves around the importance of mentorship in the developing youth.

“My topic is about the importance of positive role models in the youth community and empowering children. Basically, empowering the youth community through mentorships. Toward the end of the summer I started working at Justice [a store tailored for little girls] and their mission statement was talking about empowering young girls and wanting them to become themselves. They have this brand of the ‘Justice Girl,’ and this girl is not just smart or sporty, she is also flirty and so it was easy for me to talk about this [the topic] for about Twelve pages,” says Sanders.

Senior Projects are unique, and no one is the same as the last.

Photo of Abbie Watkins.

Below are the stories published in the May 3 Issue of The Roaring Gazette:

Senior Projects Tackle Pressing Issues by Kayla Smith

Election Results are In by Cassidy O’Neal

Fashion Marketing to Hold Fashion Show May 10 by Ariana Hernandez

Tallwood Students Sweep “Elie Wiesel Visual Arts and Multimedia Competition” by Elena Day

The Big Three Lead Lion’s Baseball in the Right Direction by Richard Ruffin

Boys’ Volleyball Begins Conditioning by Tyler Dennis

It’s the End of the Year: How to Stay Motivated by Ophelia Reid

Meet a Lion: Mr. Lytton Williams by Sydney McKissick

Tallwood’s Many Language Teachers a Diverse, Dedicated Group by Ophelia Reid

Popular Chain Restaurant Underwhelms by Charles Romano

“A Child Called It” a Classic Book Worth Reading by Erin Nathan

“Fate of the Furious” Cannot Overcome Missing Element by Austin Luciani

The United States Must Show Strength by Dylan Klepk

Fewer Lunches Means Longer Lunch Lines by Marissa Howell