Tallwood Students Sweep “Elie Wiesel Visual Arts and Multimedia Competition”

Elena Day

Three students at Tallwood High took home a win from the Elie Wiesel Visual Arts and Multimedia Competition after submitting entries on February 15th.

Tiffany Mayes was awarded with First Place, Caroline Vorndran with Second Place, and Lauren Mesina with Third Place. All three winners turned in a short video about confronting prejudices and taking a stand.

“Tallwood has won before, but always Second or Third place. It was amazing to sweep a category for the first time. I am very proud of all my students who participated, even if they didn’t win,” said Mrs. LaRoue, Tallwood High School History teacher.

The competition is held annually in remembrance of Elie Wiesel a writer and holocaust survivor. The Holocaust Commision has Middle and High School students make visual and written pieces for competitions in Wiesel’s honor. All entries were sent to The United Jewish Federation Holocaust, where a panel of judges chose the winners.

“The students were honored on April 23 at Yom Hashoah, the day of the Holocaust Remembrance. I was unable to attend due to being sick, but you get to meet Holocaust survivors,” said Mrs. Laroue.

All students participating had to do everything individually and on their own time. They had the choice of writing an essay, a poem, creating a visual art piece, or a video. The winners receive a cash prize and the teachers, regardless of awards, receive a set of holocaust-related books or a gift certificate for art supplies.

Winning pieces are displayed in a gallery exhibit at the Chrysler Museum of Art, Old Dominion University Virginia Beach Center, The Meyera C. Oberndorf Central Library, or other local art venues.

Below are the stories published in the May 3 Issue of The Roaring Gazette:

Senior Projects Tackle Pressing Issues by Kayla Smith

Election Results are In by Cassidy O’Neal

Fashion Marketing to Hold Fashion Show May 10 by Ariana Hernandez

Tallwood Students Sweep “Elie Wiesel Visual Arts and Multimedia Competition” by Elena Day

The Big Three Lead Lion’s Baseball in the Right Direction by Richard Ruffin

Boys’ Volleyball Begins Conditioning by Tyler Dennis

It’s the End of the Year: How to Stay Motivated by Ophelia Reid

Meet a Lion: Mr. Lytton Williams by Sydney McKissick

Tallwood’s Many Language Teachers a Diverse, Dedicated Group by Ophelia Reid

Popular Chain Restaurant Underwhelms by Charles Romano

“A Child Called It” a Classic Book Worth Reading by Erin Nathan

“Fate of the Furious” Cannot Overcome Missing Element by Austin Luciani

The United States Must Show Strength by Dylan Klepk

Fewer Lunches Means Longer Lunch Lines by Marissa Howell