Meet the Candidates!

Cassidy O'Neal

On Tuesday, April 28th Tallwood High School will be holding their live elections in the auditorium to pick the SCA and Class Officers for the 2017-2018 school year.

Students will be voting for their next year’s officers in a few weeks. Students get to vote for their SCA/Class President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, and Historian. However, the decision for letting students vote for Historian is up to the SCA or Class sponsor.

“Being open to new ideas not only from us, but the people of our class is crucial to be great leaders,” said Mellanie Galupe, the Class of 2019 Secretary at Tallwood High School. She believes that as an officer it is important to be open minded and committed.

People who plan to run for office were supposed to turn it their packets on March 24th. These students were announced on March 28th and presented at Pep Rally on Friday, March 31st.

When asked what she believes make people interested in SCA/Class elections, Sarah Hafley, Class of 2020 Treasurer at Tallwood High School says, “I think just them hearing about what we do gets people interested. For example, I tell my friends about we do in class and they think it’s interesting.”

Hafley believes that the key to getting interested and involved is just to simply spread the word. SCA and Class have been doing a larger amount of publicizing this year making more students interested in getting involved.

However, as the rules state, people running for President or Vice President for SCA, Class of 2019, or Class of 2018, there are some special qualifications for the position. You must have held a position previously in Class or SCA, or interviewed for a leadership position during the school year. Also, you must get a teacher or a sponsor who is not your Class/SCA sponsor to write you a letter of recommendation.

If students still want to be in office, but missed the deadline, they have a second chance. Students have the opportunity to be interviewed for an appointed office for Class or SCA. The interview dates for the offices will be determined by the SCA/Class sponsors.

Tallwood will have their new elected officers announced on Thursday, April 20th, and then SCA and Class Officers will pick the appointed offices.

The candidates-

SCA-
President: Joseph Nguyen
Vice President: Braydon Beckwith
Secretary: Selah Whisenant
Treasurer: Kelsey Gunn
Class of 2018-
President:Eliene Lucero
Vice President: Alayne Barlaan
Secretary: Angelica Virtucio
Treasurer: Adriana Pemberton

Class of 2019-
President: Jack Schmeiser
Vice President: Francine Williams and Destehny Perez
Secretary: Mellanie Galupe and Caroline Vorndran
Treasurer: Kori Lea

Class of 2020-
President: Tiana Corbin and Mya Pemberton
Vice President: Sophia Lomeng
Secretary: Heather Liang
Treasurer: Sarah Hafley

For Picture: Left to right: Top Row-Enya Pfeiffer, Braydon Beckwith, and Olivia Kinert Bottom Row: Parris Sanders, Joseph Nguyen, and Barrett Miller

Below are stories published in the April 7 Issue of The Roaring Gazette.

Meet the Candidates by Cassidy O’Neal

Ring Dance Glamorous and Unforgettable by Kaylyn Neves

Three Lunches Test Cafeteria Capacity by Elena Day

Student Art Wows at the MOCA by Ariana Hernandez

When Senioritis Gets Real by Kayla Smith

Passing Students Just to Pass Them: Why this is Harmful by Dave Nimer

Let’s Face it: Cursive is Dead by Amari McCoy

Schools Should Re-Think Standardized Testing by Tyanna Lamar

Immigration is Great, but the U.S. must Ensure it is Safe, Legal by Dylan Klepk

In a Digital World, Why do Teachers Make us Print? by Marissa Howell

Achieve 3000 Causes Undue Stress by Tyler Dennis

“Kong” an Exciting Set-Up for the Monsterverse by Austin Luciani

Big Sean’s New Album Proves He’s Back by Erin Nathan

Top Ten Wiseguy Films by Charles Romano