In a Digital World, Why do Teachers Make us Print?

Marissa Howell

The world we live in is rapidly being consumed by technology. It even has weaseled its way into our very own education systems. There are now laptops for every student in just about every single classroom.

Students complete a variety of assignments on these computers (or Chromebooks, as we call them). The majority of these assignments are done through Google powered applications and submitted to one locality for each individual class, at the teacher’s creation, called Google Classroom.

Classroom is synced with students’ google accounts so they can access and submit their assignments anywhere. This is a beautiful creation that definitely helps students do their work on the go.

But the major issue is, even with all this technology available, teachers still want us to print work to turn in. Yes, this is fine and dandy, but more often than not we as students to do not have 24/7 access to printers or a computer lab.

Many teachers on the due date give us the “go to the library and print,” speech. Yet, as teachers, they have printers in their classrooms. Why aren’t we allowed to briefly borrow those to print for that exact class?

It is understandable that, if thirty-five people need to print out simple two page essays, the printer will run out of ink, but as teachers you have to understand that when the library and labs are closed we may not have another alternative.

“Well my printer doesn’t work.” A phrase many students are familiar with from their teachers, just as much as “ go to the library to do it.”

More often than not the school library is closed due to testing or overflow of classes, and printing at the public library costs money (and of course you have to get there as well).

This inability to print often leaves students with poor grades for work they have completed but are unable to turn in due to the fact they cannot print a hard copy.

Teachers should check and give partial credit they have seen done on the computer and then give full credit, or what have you grade-wise, when the assignment is actually printed. This still gives the student credit for the work they did do, as they did earn it.

Also, as a school, they should have a student copy room–just a small little place with one or two printers and computers, that students can swipe their ID badges to have access to. They can stop during a class and print off a paper or during lunch.

This little pit stop would be extremely valuable during SOL time when the library is closed and all the teachers decide they want all your work printed off. There could also be a small box that students drop a nickel in to help offset the costs of printing.

Also, encouraging teachers to accept work solely electronically is also a cheaper alternative to the student copy room.

Below are stories published in the April 7 Issue of The Roaring Gazette.

Meet the Candidates by Cassidy O’Neal

Ring Dance Glamorous and Unforgettable by Kaylyn Neves

Three Lunches Test Cafeteria Capacity by Elena Day

Student Art Wows at the MOCA by Ariana Hernandez

When Senioritis Gets Real by Kayla Smith

Passing Students Just to Pass Them: Why this is Harmful by Dave Nimer

Let’s Face it: Cursive is Dead by Amari McCoy

Schools Should Re-Think Standardized Testing by Tyanna Lamar

Immigration is Great, but the U.S. must Ensure it is Safe, Legal by Dylan Klepk

In a Digital World, Why do Teachers Make us Print? by Marissa Howell

Achieve 3000 Causes Undue Stress by Tyler Dennis

“Kong” an Exciting Set-Up for the Monsterverse by Austin Luciani

Big Sean’s New Album Proves He’s Back by Erin Nathan

Top Ten Wiseguy Films by Charles Romano