Let’s Face It: Cursive is Dead

Amari McCoy

Teaching cursive to students is a waste of time.

Legislatures around the country are debating: “Should cursive writing be mandatory in schools?” Some schools make mandatory rules that students should already be able to demonstrate keyboarding skills by fourth grade. Yet, schools are at least required to teach students the basic features of print only in Kindergarten, leaving cursive writing out completely.

Cursive writing should only be a choice made by the teacher and student’s parents themselves. Students shouldn’t be qualified to be able to write in cursive. Nowadays, everything in school is written through technology. Technology is the new writing gateway.

Before starting in public school, I was in a private school untill about fourth grade. When I started a public school I had to start over with my writing. There was no more cursive and all print. Having to start over caused my handwriting to be sloppy today, and I don’t remember anything about how to write in cursive.

Some people say that cursive writing helps with writing your signature, reading important documents, and it’s a neater option than print. As Dr. William Klemm argues in Psychology Today, “Cursive writing helps train the brain to integrate visual, and tactile information, and fine motor dexterity.” However, writing in longhand generally helps students retain more information and generate more ideas.

If most students are trained in the writing of print, why change it now? Changing the way students are allowed to write can confuse a lot of students. Writing styles should be a choice, not standard.

Below are stories published in the April 7 Issue of The Roaring Gazette.

Meet the Candidates by Cassidy O’Neal

Ring Dance Glamorous and Unforgettable by Kaylyn Neves

Three Lunches Test Cafeteria Capacity by Elena Day

Student Art Wows at the MOCA by Ariana Hernandez

When Senioritis Gets Real by Kayla Smith

Passing Students Just to Pass Them: Why this is Harmful by Dave Nimer

Let’s Face it: Cursive is Dead by Amari McCoy

Schools Should Re-Think Standardized Testing by Tyanna Lamar

Immigration is Great, but the U.S. must Ensure it is Safe, Legal by Dylan Klepk

In a Digital World, Why do Teachers Make us Print? by Marissa Howell

Achieve 3000 Causes Undue Stress by Tyler Dennis

“Kong” an Exciting Set-Up for the Monsterverse by Austin Luciani

Big Sean’s New Album Proves He’s Back by Erin Nathan

Top Ten Wiseguy Films by Charles Romano