Northern Ireland Visits Journalism Class

Journalism Staff, Staff

On Friday, September 30, the delegation from Bangor, Northern Ireland visited Mr. Denvir’s 4A Journalism class.  The group of female students mainly discussed the differences between the two countries and what their experiences have taught them about Virginia Beach and the U.S.

The visiting girls discussed how school in Bangor is different from Tallwood High School.  For starters, Bangor students must wear uniforms.  Rachel, one of the Bangor students, also complimented Tallwood on the ready availability of technology.  Katie, another student, remarked on the diversity of the student body.

Bangor students all claimed to love the food in the U.S.  “Chick-fil-A is amazing,” said Georgia.  “Popeye’s is way better than I expected, and it was the first time I have ever really had a biscuit. The closest thing we have to biscuits in Ireland is scones.”  Niamh Embleton remarked on the larger portion sizes in America.

Students discussed field trips, and most enjoyed going to the Aquarium, MOCA, and an “American Football” game.  Katie preferred Jamestown, saying “it was very cool to get to see Virginia and its history.”

The students also talked about the positive learning experiences gained from staying with their U.S. host families.  Georgia said her host family was very inviting and welcoming to her.  Although she missed her own family, it was nice to get away and have some time to herself due to her big family.  According to Georgia, living with such kind hosts helped discredit the stereotype that Americans are rude.

The most excitable topic of the afternoon involved the differences in language.  In Northern Ireland, they say “trousers” instead of “pants” and “lift” instead of “elevator.”  To much laughter, Tallwood students also learned the slang term “sesh gremlin,” which refers to people who party excessively.

In the last thirty minutes of class, the delegation began to leave for their flight back home, departing from Norfolk Airport that evening.  Tallwood students spent the final minutes of class talking excitedly about the visit.  “That was fun,” said Tallwood Sophomore Charles Romano.  “When’s the next delegation?”

Photos courtesy of Mr. Denvir.

Correction: A previous version of this article incorrectly identified Charles Romano as a Junior.