The student news site of Tallwood High School

Roaring Gazette

• December 31Want to join the Roaring Gazette? Sign up for Journalism class!
  • January 11See Mr. Denvir in rm. A 109 for information about joining the school newspaper!

Roaring Gazette

Roaring Gazette

Tallwood Academy Students Are March-ing Through With Their Senior Projects

Lincey Chu
Students attend Alex Santiaguel’s presentation on jewelry-making during Ambrose Herron’s hobby fair.

On February 23, 2024, the first senior action took place. Now, going into March, multiple student actions are making their mark in Tallwood High School. 

During academy students’ years at Tallwood, academy classes inform the students about the project they have to conduct in their senior year. 

“We start preparing and get a general idea of what it is and how you can start planning it in freshman year,” said Sophia Zitioui, a sophomore academy student at Tallwood High School. 

So as the underclassmen rise, they gain more knowledge on the project. Once the students reach their senior year, they are to construct a project that is impactful and meaningful to them and their community, and the action of this project is the most important part. It is what informs and interacts with the people at Tallwood.  

“I started to prepare basic things before my action was approved like talking out my plans and confirming they were actually doable. I made sure to stay on top of everything and in contact with everyone involved to make sure everything was going to work out. I contacted many people for resources and help when I needed them,” said Eden Tilghman, a Tallwood High School academy senior. 

When preparing for the action, communicating with the teachers and advisors for the academy will help guide the students through the process more smoothly. 

“I had to fill out this ‘action planning matrix’ for my academy class to get everything organized and narrow down my ideas. We had to meet with our advisor twice a month,” said Aria Benzant-Feldra, a Tallwood High School academy senior. 

Though the preparation part of the action might seem boring and hard work, the action part is what will really bring the fun out of the project. 

“I had real photos, 3d printed models, real jewelry, and real needles to display. At the end I asked questions and the group who got the most right got candy and faux jewelry as a prize,” said Tilghman.

The students who showed up to this action in the library media center got to walk through a gallery of art and received free items at the end, and similar to Eden’s action, Aria’s had an interactive activity with miniature zen gardens. Students got to relax and go through a meditative state while enjoying their own little garden. 

The actions that take place in Tallwood are not just informing students, they want the students to have fun and engage with the topic itself. 

As March goes on, keep a lookout for senior action posters on the walls or reposts on social media. These interactive and fun actions are not activities to miss out on!