Dance Team Inspires Students and Spectators Alike

Aniyah Lewis, News Editor

On Thursdays and Fridays, directly after school, the cafeteria is filled with up to 30 Tallwood students gathering for dance practice.

“Dancing is universal. Everyone does it. It’s a way for you to communicate, ” states Diamond Cook, Senior and dance team co-captain.

Versed in hip-hop, lyrical, and jazz, these students pour their heart into the art form.  Diamond Keys, 12th grade student and dance team co-captain, states, “Dance for me is…an escape.”

For some, dance is a constructive outlet and welcome alternative to other sports or academic clubs. Some students have expressed that they are stepping outside of their comfort zone by joining the team.

“When I came to Tallwood, I thought that it would be a fresh start for me,” says Raina Perez, 11th grader and dance team member. “So I decided to try something that would maybe express me a little more and let me open up and be comfortable with the school.”

The coaches include Ms. Comer, Mrs. Beeler, and Mrs. Monroe. Their enthusiasm and excitement is matched by their students’.

When asked why she danced, Sophomore and dance team member Caitlyn Anderson said, “It’s my passion, and because I can’t dance outside of school, this is a way to bring my passion to everyone else.”

To see the dance team in action, attend the varsity basketball games and watch their performances during half-time.