The student news site of Tallwood High School

Roaring Gazette

• December 31Want to join the Roaring Gazette? Sign up for Journalism class!
  • January 11See Mr. Denvir in rm. A 109 for information about joining the school newspaper!

Roaring Gazette

Roaring Gazette

Tallwood Roar? More Like Tallwood Score!

Moving on from JV, to Varsity, and Beyond
Girls on Varsity Soccer

With Tallwood’s Girls Varsity and JV soccer seasons coming to a close, we can now look back on any moments or games that defined our Lions for this year. 

Out of multiple games and countless practices, girls on both Varsity and JV worked tirelessly to be the best players they could for their teammates, and also for themselves. It’s no easy feat, especially considering girls on varsity are often juggling a part time job, social aspects, and an insurmountable school work load. 

Seniors most likely have it worst of all, on account of their impending college and post-graduate decisions, mingled in with the peak of high school stress. 

Sports should be an outlet, not a debilitation. Many high school students find that being athletic improves their motivation and helps them think more clearly in regards to both personal and academic standpoints. 

“It’s best to be confident, committed, and be able to maintain a clear and positive mentality.” Varsity player Carissa Iriarte has played soccer for ten years, and as her final season of high school soccer is nearing its end, she attributes the many great years she’s played to the people by her side. 

Even through navigating game losses and celebrating wins, Carissa describes the excitement and nerves one feels when stepping onto the field. 

She recalls one of the best games of the season, where Tallwood played against Cox High School on April 26th. 

“The intensity and resilience the team as a whole brought to the game led us to a win when the odds were against us.” 

When just enough people come together who both love that feeling of excitement mixed with nerves, and who retain just enough determination, will surely become a force to be reckoned with. 

While many Varsity players are moving on after graduation this year, many JV girls will emerge from their shadows in return. 

JV soccer player Charlotte Vera talks about how the Varsity girls seem unwavering in their skills, and how it seems intimidating to take on such a daunting role. 

Being a rising sophomore and having played soccer for more than ten years, Charlotte has had enough time to gather her favorite things about the game. 

“I like having to look forward to being in cooperation with other people… there’s no way to win soccer without having other people in it.” 

The transition from JV to Varsity may seem like a shift of priorities to some. While you’re in JV, you might just be playing the game because it was a hobby turned into a passion. Whereas when moving onto Varsity, the aspects of what used to be “just a game” abruptly turn much more serious. 

Suddenly your teammates are struggling to balance work-life, home-life, and school-life, and all of a sudden the game you love starts to feel like a chore. 

In these moments, you as a player have to remember that feeling of excitement mixed with nerves when walking onto the field, as the same goes for any aspect of life. Things may get harder, and obstacles may become higher, but in the end sports are designed to show you that your own skills may be incredible, but it’s when a team comes together that a victory is earned. 

After all, regardless of where life takes you, when looking back on a high school sports team, you’re more unlikely to remember that one loss against some opposing team, then you are likely to remember all the meaningful moments shared with your teammates. 

When asked for any advice she would give to rising Varsity players, Carissa says to “Stay focused, work hard, and show your skills and determination on the field. Remember to have fun and enjoy the experience, memories, and lifelong friends that you’ll make along the way.” 

To anyone unsure of moving onto Varsity, or even sticking with your sport, don’t let the fear of failure stop you from taking the chance! 

After recalling her favorite memories from her favorite sport, Charlotte decided- “I think being on the Varsity team would be a major accomplishment, so maybe I should go for it!”