The student news site of Tallwood High School

Roaring Gazette

• December 31Want to join the Roaring Gazette? Sign up for Journalism class!
  • January 11See Mr. Denvir in rm. A 109 for information about joining the school newspaper!

Roaring Gazette

Roaring Gazette

Girls LAX Could be the Catch of the Spring Season

Mason Gandia
Girls Lacrosse players join sticks.

With only one win in the 2023 season, the girls lacrosse debut could be best described as underwhelming. However, things may be looking up for them this spring.

As tryouts pass, the team practices four days a week in order to make a comeback at their first game against Bayside, scoring a meek 2-17 in their last match-up. New and returning players alike say they look forward to team building and lifting morale on and off the field,  working towards the mentality that will lead them to a successful season.

“If you really want to play and you really want to commit to it, that’s how hard you’ll play,” said team captain, Elgin B. Raymond.

A game not enjoyed is not a game well played. Especially in sports, a positive mindset has proven to make all the difference, and this team has plenty. Many agree that there’s no shortage of encouragement at practice or in-game, and the recent surge of motivation was just what they needed to start this spring strong.

Of course mentality doesn’t compare to aptitude, but it certainly boosts it.

“I definitely think we’re going to be a lot better this season, I see a lot when practice ends everyone’s like, ‘No I want to continue,” Raymond added. “We’ve gone over practice time so many times because the girls want to just stay there and practice.”

The team’s zeal for their sport is unyielding, and their improvement expands for each individual player. 

“Everybody’s put in a lot of effort to practice outside of school, so I think everybody’s gotten better at essential skills that make the game go smoother,” stated sophomore first-timer Avery Gordon.

Every player has something to improve on, and she went on to emphasize the importance of independent, consistent practice, alongside unrelenting motivation.

Though raw skill and ambition seem to make the game, this season’s lacrosse team is switching strategy to prioritizing communication, bond, and trust between players, making for a solid foundation of unity that could be the turning point in their previous losing streak.

“I just want everyone to grow in the lacrosse field; I don’t care if we win or lose,” continued Raymond.

Despite her casual resolve, the player’s newly heightened spirits could make for a victory streak.  Already, many players agree that the team has improved in multitudes, and remain hopeful that it’ll be evident in-game. No matter how the following weeks play out, this team is determined to make the most of the season, and in the coming games, Tallwood can expect to feel the excitement from the bleachers.