New L.E.O. Program Seeks to Build Relationships, Community

Aniyah Lewis, News Editor

A new mentorship program, by the name of L.E.O, will be instituted at Tallwood on Monday, November 21st.

L.E.O stands for Lions Educating Others, and it provides all students, with the exception of VOTECH and ATC attendees who are not in the building during first block, with a mentor from the faculty. In these meetings each mentor will get to meet their mentees, introduce themselves, and be a guiding force for them, helping students to set goals, remember due dates, and cope with high school obligations.

“Teachers get to meet new students–students who aren’t in their grade level, students who they may never encounter,” states Dr. Avila, principal.

This program seeks to build relationships, not only from teacher to student, but from student to student as well. Dr. Avila expressed his desire to see the very diverse population of Tallwood come together in an environment that promotes a healthy exchange of thoughts, beliefs, hopes and ambitions.

“I want to make sure that our students know that our faculty cares about them, ” states Dr. Avila, “And I want students to learn from one another.”

Friday, November 18th, class assemblies will be held to address the procedures associated with L.E.O. At their designated times, each class will be briefed on their role in this new opportunity.

With student involvement being a driving force in L.E.O’s creation, Dr. Avila afforded students opportunities to use their voice.  At each quarterly meeting, the students will not only re-evaluate their goals with one another as well as their faculty member but will also be responsible for creating the next topic of discussion.

Dr.Avila states, “I really want students to become a bigger player in school functions.”