Is College for Everybody?

Haylee Burel, Staff Writer

One very big and important part of everyone’s life, according to almost anyone, would be college. Not only the path to and the memories during, but also your future is defined by you and your college years. But the real question: is college even worth it?

For a majority of careers in the everyday society, college is necessary for one to succeed in life. Not only does it show young adults real life scenarios and the responsibilities that come with self determination, but it also benefits an individual when it comes to their future annual salary. Studies show that those who hold a college degree receive about $20,000 more annually, which can explain why a majority of people wish to go to college.

Not only is there an increase in the salaries of degree holders, but the memories young adults receive from college are truly unforgettable. Whether it’s the friends they make or learning how to be independent for the first time in their life, college is a way to learn many important life lessons.  In other words, college is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

However, though one may think that college is essential to becoming successful and getting anywhere in life, in some cases it’s not required for success.  A majority of careers–don’t get me wrong–require the employee to obtain a degree from college before they even get considered for the job.  On the other hand, however, there are many lucrative careers that do not require a college degree. Not only do these careers pay more, but they also include more benefits for the employee.  So if someone wants to make a lot of money in their lifetime based off of their career, they don’t necessarily have to be the smartest of the bunch.

A majority of teenagers spend their days stressing and spreading themselves way too thin just so they can maintain a GPA and high school transcript that appeals to colleges.  While trying to maintain a high GPA–while balancing extra-curriculars with things like work and maintaining a social life–the stress level of a majority of students is truly something else. Nowadays, colleges have manipulated both teenagers’ way of life and society itself by making it seem that, without a college degree, one can’t go far.

When deciding for college, one should consider what they want for themselves and for their future. For example, if someone wants a career that doesn’t need a college degree, they shouldn’t have the same worries as someone who wishes to go to college. College is a great experience that everyone should experience. But before one stresses about their college years, they should determine whether or not college is right for them.