Why Can’t Students Drop AP Classes?

Why Cant Students Drop AP Classes?

Donya Lechqer, Columnist

Last year and in all the years preceding, the Tallwood High School AP policy stated a student was able to drop AP classes until October 31. This gave them a chance to sample the class to see if it was within the realm of their capability to earn their desired grade in the class. Students count on being able to first observe the class before fully committing because it serves a safeguard. Without this feeling of comfort surrounding an otherwise stressful class, students will likely be repelled by the idea of AP. This new policy—which restricts students from dropping an AP class they cannot handle—will lower GPAs and increase levels of stress.

Time management is essential for success in high school and throughout life in general. It will allow assignments to seem as doable deeds rather than unconquerable obstacles, so that you may have more time to engage in your community and school. With more community service and activity within school clubs and teams you will become more well-rounded and therefore a more productive member of society. Your effect on your community will be more beneficial and profound.

Positivity is essential for success, especially in school.  This brings me to my next point: we need to avoid stress. It is an unnecessary obstacle for academic success and overall health. Stress negatively effects grades and involvement. Positivity will also encourage the retaining of information learned in class, which in turn allows for more academic prosperity. According to evokelearning.ca, “A storm of emotions raging in the amygdala can weaken the prefrontal cortex, hampering our ability to think and learn. Students under considerable emotional stress underperform in school as stress impairs executive function. A number of researchers have discovered that psychological stress affects the thinking skills and brain development of even the youngest student.”

If you ask a high school student what life revolves around, they will probably tell you GPAs. Colleges use them as variables to determine whether they accept a student. If your GPA is too low you cannot participate in certain activities, like sports.  Also, in THS you need at least a 3.5 GPA to be considered for National Honor Society, the Global Studies Honor society, etc. GPAs are very important within a student’s academic career and are arguably the most important factor to a student. Therefore, any factor that could possibly harm it should be considered with the utmost importance.

This new policy could potentially harm students’ participation in extracurricular activities and grades as well as overall positivity within the classroom. All three factors are very important so a policy that hinders not one but all of them really shouldn’t be put into place because the risk is too great.