Meet a Lion: Mr. Waagen

Bethany Hansel

“Do no harm and grow with what life sends.”

These are some of the guiding words of Mr. Waagen, a ninth and twelfth grade English teacher here at Tallwood High School.

Mr. Waagen has a comfortable and easygoing presence that embodies the words he lives by. He is good-natured and interacts well with students, so it is no surprise that he has been successfully teaching since the 1980s. He has been teaching at Tallwood since he was asked to come teach in 1994, just two years after the school’s opening.

Long before his life as a teacher, however, Mr. Waagen lived in the suburbs of Wisconsin before attending university in Tennessee and Arkansas, as well as Old Dominion University in Virginia Beach. He spent a couple years in the printing business before deciding to start substitute teaching in order to see if he wanted to pursue a career as a teacher. Obviously, he greatly enjoyed it and sought out his teaching license, and he has been teaching ever since.

Though teaching is a busy and full-time job, when he does have some free time, Mr. Waagen enjoys hiking and spending time outdoors, travelling extensively, listening to music, creating music with his guitar, and, of course, reading.

“I’ve always got probably two books that I’m working on…besides the literature that we’re working on in class.”

As an English teacher, Mr. Waagen stresses to his students the importance of reading and thinking critically, for he considers both to be essential life skills.

“Reading is important. Reading is a good thing, not a bad thing. A number of students think it’s bad. But, I don’t think we’re ever going to get away from it. We have to keep reading all the time, and that’s why it’s such an important skill, knowing how to read and how to analyze things.”

Mr. Waagen strongly believes in the importance of thinking, as well as using ideas in literature to connect to your own life and develop your own philosophies.

“I try to get people to think,” He says. As seen, Mr. Waagen has many of his own philosophies and ideas about life.

“We don’t always get everything we want, and we learn that fairly early.” He says in regards to lessons he has learned in life.

“And yet, we can thrive, even when we don’t get everything we want. In fact, it’s not good for us to get everything we want.” He also stresses the value of “continued growth” in life, as well as “having a good attitude about things.”

As parting words of advice on how to confront challenging or stressful situations, Mr. Waagen gives his mantra on dealing with difficult situations. He says, “‘I’ve done lots of things, and I can do this too.’”

Below are the stories featured in this issue of The Roaring Gazette.

Do students and staff believe schools should start later? by Khyannia Banks

Lion Voices: Describe the most interesting teacher you’ve ever had by Frances Summers

Meet a Lion: Mr. Waagen by Bethany Hansel

“Five minute phone policy” helps students focus in class by Finnley Brakke

Should the U.S. redefine terrorism? by Marissa Goodall

Food industry giant must rethink its policy by Ashley Archila-Ventura

“The Good Doctor” shines a light on an important issue by Sotiria Bessinas

Taco Bell an under-rated gem by Chris Purkiss