Love Trumps Hate

Love Trumps Hate

Marcie Fennell, Staff Writer

The election is finally over, but–if you look at the news headlines–you might think otherwise. For days now, hundreds of thousands of people nationwide have been protesting against the new presidential elect, Donald Trump.

“Politics is opinionated and very moral based too and you shouldn’t attack someone for who they voted for but rather work and spread what you believe in order to get something changed” said Tallwood junior, Aleyna C.

Trump won the election in a divided nation. Approximately 60 million Americans voted for a republican nominee with a xenophobic stance on immigration; those against Trump refuse to be silenced.

On Saturday, a group of over 2,000 in New York marched to the Trump Tower to protest his nomination. One of the most powerful protests was in California in which 1,500 students at Berkeley High School walked out of class waving Mexican flags and chanting “Sí, se puede” or “Yes, we can.” They were protesting mainly his plans of large scale deportation of Mexican immigrants once inaugurated.

Donovan Lea, a junior at Tallwood High, stated, “I feel like sometimes the protesting can get out of hand, but I feel like it is kinda necessary because based on the election you have seen; it has broken up our country and separated us. I feel like the protesting is a way to unify the division that has been caused by Donald Trump.”

Lea believes that the protesting is not rash as long as it remains peaceful. Fortunately, the majority of the anti-Trump protests have been just that. However, in Portland, Oregon authorities utilized tear gas on the headstrong, unruly crowd in response to “burning projectiles” that were thrown at the police.

Social media has been a huge component in the protesting. The Berkeley students in California collaborated for their protest using hashtags on Twitter. Others across the nation have shown their support for the protesters. Trending hashtags include “Two Americas” and “Not my President” along with the twist of the infamous Trump campaign slogan to “Trump Makes America Hate Again.”

I believe the only thing Trump has done for America is bring to light that we must come together as one. He has incited nothing but hatred in the States among supporters and protesters alike. I have heard too many people talking about wanting to leave our beloved nation over him. He is an extremely imperfect human, but he would not have such an influence on us all if we were the stronger, united nation we so claim to be.

I have one small bit of advice for Trump supporters and protesters. Francis of Assisi said, “While you are proclaiming peace with your lips, be careful to have it even more fully in your heart.”