Guitar Club Rocks Out

Guitar Club Rocks Out

Bethany Hansel, Staff Writer

Whether you are an avid guitar player or merely a budding enthusiast, coming to guitar club every Thursday will undoubtedly be a fun and inspiring experience for anyone willing to make an appearance. This relaxed and entertaining club is filled with students of varying abilities and ambitions, so feeling out of place is nearly impossible. Regardless of whether you actually decide to try your hand at guitar or spectate the many other talents in the room, immensely enjoying yourself is inevitable.

It can be argued that perhaps the most intriguing aspect of this club is the people involved. The club itself is sponsored by Mr. Waagen, a wonderfully friendly and fascinating English teacher here at Tallwood. A talented guitarist himself, Mr. Waagen enjoys interacting with like-minded students and always makes himself available to aid and encourage everyone who passes through his door. This positive and uplifting atmosphere makes for a wide variety of guitarists and enthusiasts that are excited to play for their peers and even join together to create music together for perhaps the first time in their lives.

Mr. Waagen repeatedly stresses the importance of harmonizing with other guitarists. As he puts it, “There’s nothing more beautiful than coming together to create music. Though playing on your own can be great, it’s when you join with someone else that you are forced to realize your own potential, and you achieve great things you never could’ve accomplished alone.” Guitar club is a prime opportunity for those wishing to create chances like this for themselves, and it is highly encouraged that anyone who is even considering this possibility take advantage of this.

Despite all of this, everyone is welcomed and respected in this club, and it is understood that not everyone is yet comfortable playing with or even in front of others. For this reason, no one will ever be pressured into doing so, and people who do not want to share their music are still encouraged to come and merely spectate or even find their own private space to play on their own. The purpose of this club is not to create pressure or stress, but to encourage creativity and relaxation after a long and sometimes difficult day of school. Therefore, anyone wishing to come unwind and spend a few fun hours with like-minded people should come and give guitar club a chance.  

Photo courtesy of Ethan Wentzell.