“We Share One World” a Success

We Share One World a Success

Noah Birthisel, Staff Writer

As always, our global studies academy’s cultural event was carried out with all the competence and grace of an educational program for tomorrow’s global citizens. The We Share One World event is important to this school because it shows the benefits of being part of a global community to the younger part of our generation.

Archery and the Highland games were a blast for students such as Anthony Nevi, who managed to receive the best score of entire event with all inner circle hits and two bull’s eyes. As said by Jacob Macnab, one of the operators of the Highlander games, “It is important to create an interest with younger children so that they will be more interested in a global education which will help them make more global connections.”

Food, namely desserts, was a major aspect of the events from the Gulab Jamun in the Indian section to the Polvoron sweets of the Filipino section to the Shipuchka sweets of the Russian section. A major favorite among these sweets was Israeli section’s Sufganiyot donuts. But overall the food aspect of this event must go to the Arabic section with their massive array of both food and desserts.

Any child visiting Tallwood during this event is sure to have seen that having hands-on experiences is a common teaching method in Tallwood. With cultural crafts such as Origami figures from the Japanese section and antipasto from the Italian section, visiting children could experience for themselves the ways of other people. Namely among these was the hacky- sacks from the Chinese section made from feathers, flat circles of metal, and a piece of circular rubber.

One of the most important aspect of the Tallwood academy is not on site. In the Israeli, Filipino, and Arabic sections of the event were oriented on students who visited or even lived in other countries. This is a valuable part of learning the true nature of foreign cultures. As said by Emily McCoy, an operator at the Filipino section, “The most eye opening part of the trip is speaking to locals who are living there every day, making friends with these people is great.”

One of the most valuable aspects of this academy was found in the Russian and German sections. The German section, in honor of the holidays, concentrated on the German holiday of Frone Weihnachten. The value of this section was that it compared German holidays to our own. As said by Frau Davis, a teacher in charge of the German section, “Showing other people how others celebrate the same holiday is important because it shows us the similarities and differences between two cultures.”

Meanwhile in the Russian section, complete cultural immersion including food, music, dancing, and language. What set this section apart from the rest was that it went the extra mile and showed the younger students how Russian and English aren’t that different.

Events like We Share One World is important to this both this academy and the students who will become part of it. Because in order to promote an understanding of other peoples, a culturally enriched education is a basic requirement.