Achieve 3000 Offers Opportunities, Challenges

Aniyah Lewis, News Editor

In an effort to sharpen reading skills, the district has enforced the use of a new computer program, Achieve3000, which is designed to raise a student’s lexile reading level by assigning non-fiction articles and questions tailored to the students.

“It’s used to make students college ready,” says gifted resource teacher, Mrs. Lisa Walker. She then went on to explain the necessary lexile level for students to succeed in college and how most are not within sufficient range of that level. An inadequate amount of reading occurs outside of school, and it’s impairing student’s scores and reading performance. Therefore, Achieve3000 seeks to bridge the gap.

Use of this program has tested the technological capabilities of the school, and teachers raise concerns about the availability of technology.  Computer resource specialist Mrs. Hartigan explained that it isn’t a matter of lack of technology; it’s the issue of technology use. She states, “We have a large bandwidth with a large amount of students. That affects the programs we want to run.”

According to multiple sources, Achieve3000 has taken various hours of training thus far, but still “Time for training is limited,” according to Walker. In those sessions the teachers were taught the basics of the program.  Still, the program is new to teachers and students alike.  According to academy English teacher, Mr. Matthew Denvir, “It’s been a learning process…”

Even with these training sessions, some teachers have expressed a lack of understanding of the program and how to successfully integrate it into their curriculums.

A program such as this one might benefit from a clearly stated objective and outline. It shows great benefits when teachers continuously train and work with the program. Mr. Denvir states, “The more I understand how to use it, the more I like it.”

However, significant process cannot be made alone. Achieve3000 has proven itself to be a collective effort thus far. It has required the collaboration of computer specialists, staff, and students. Mrs. Walker states, “Teachers have to work with specialists to align it with content area.”

It is a work in progress, but many are very optimistic about the effects. Among the optimists is Mrs. Hartigan. She states, “If we use Achieve3000 well then our students should see amazing results in their reading abilities. Then that will lead to success in life.”