Tallwood students take running Lit Mag into their own hands in the wake of COVID-19

Margaret Haggerty

As we begin the 2020 school year during this unique time, the Tallwood Literary Magazine has taken fate into it’s own hands.  This year, the LitMag is completely student-run, and no longer officially affiliated with Tallwood though a teacher sponsor, allowing for submissions from around the US.  Today the Roaring Gazette talked to one of the LitMag staff, Despina Drosinos. “The LitMag stands for ‘Literary Magazine.’ It’s a place for creative students to submit writing as well as visual art and music,” she says.  The magazine is now run by Samantha Dickerson, Mollie Donovan, Elizabeth McCardle-Blunk, Maeve Ragno, Hunter Tufarelli, and Despina, and can be found at their new URL: https://tallwood-lit-mag.weebly.com/ and can be contacted through email at: [email protected].

The Roaring Gazette asked how the LitMag has changed this year from previous years.  Despina said, “…Students may now submit music. This can include original pieces, covers, vocals, instrumental music, or vocals with instrumental accompaniment in any genre. We are also accepting more visual art submissions such as pottery, paintings, and drawings. Pieces can be submitted by students that do not attend Tallwood…and… it’s not an official club at Tallwood.”

According to Despina they are “pretty much set” as far as committee members, however students can submit by “[going to] …the ‘submissions’ tab on our website for specific directions on how to submit. Essentially, writers can submit through a form on the site and artists will email us.”

Despina ended her interview about the new LitMag with these final notes; “Issues will be published monthly (with the exception of September and October being in a joint issue and a special introductory issue coming out in the beginning of October). There are monthly prompts posted on our ‘prompts’ page, however, free form is always accepted. We cannot guarantee that all submissions will be published, however, some pieces may be published in another issue.”

Right now, it seems like the Literary Magazine has a bright future to grow and improve even during these uncertain times.

What is LitMag?

The LitMag stands for “Literary Magazine.” It’s a place for creative students to submit writing as well as visual art and music. It is run entirely by students at Tallwood, but not Tallwood-affiliated.

How has it changed from previous years?

Unlike previous years, students may now submit music. This can include original pieces, covers, vocals, instrumental music, or vocals with instrumental accompaniment in any genre. We are also accepting more visual art submissions such as pottery, paintings, and drawings. Pieces can be submitted by students that do not attend Tallwood. In addition, the LitMag is also entirely student-run by six Tallwood students: Samantha Dickerson, Mollie Donovan, Elizabeth McCardle-Blunk, Maeve Ragno, Hunter Tufarrelli, and myself (Despina Drosinos). Lastly, we have a new website (https://tallwood-lit-mag.weebly.com/), email ([email protected]), and, as I said above, it’s not an official club at Tallwood.

Who can join the LitMag and how?

Submissions can come from any student, and not just from Tallwood. In fact, I have friends all around the US that are submitting to the LitMag. My good friend from Hawai’i just submitted about 15+ drawings and sketches. You can see the “submissions” tab on our website for specific directions on how to submit. Essentially, writers can submit through a form on the site and artists will email us. We are pretty much set as far as committee members, but if you are extremely interested, please email us. You must be in good academic standing and have good character. If you are accepted, then you will mostly help with sorting through received submissions and promotion. 

Is there anything else we should know about LitMag?

Issues will be published monthly (with the exception of September and October being in a joint issue). There are monthly prompts posted on our “prompts” page, however, free form is always accepted. We cannot guarantee that all submissions will be published, however, some pieces may be published in another issue.