Previewing the college football game

Malcolm Allen, Sports Editor

It has been set! The sixth college football playoff is upon us and the teams have been chosen. Many people predicted the four teams that were going to make it, but the real question was: Which teams would have which seeds?

Now we know. On December 8, 2019, the College Football Playoff committee announced that the LSU Tigers, Ohio State Buckeyes, Clemson Tigers, and Oklahoma Sooners would play for a chance to win the College Football Playoff National Championship. The aforementioned teams are in order of their seed. In the CFP semifinals, the #1 seed will play against the #4 seed and the #3 seed will play against the #2 seed. In 2019, Oklahoma will play LSU in the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl in Atlanta, GA, and Clemson will play Ohio State in the Playstation Fiesta Bowl. Let’s take a look into these four teams’ long road to where they are now.

The Tigers of Louisiana State University enter the playoff as the #1 seed. They boast an undefeated 13-0 record, and major wins against #9 Florida, #12 Auburn, #13 Alabama, and #5 Georgia. LSU probably enters the playoff with the hardest schedule that has prepared them for these upcoming playoff games. They are led by Heisman Trophy winning senior quarterback Joe Burrow who has had an unreal college football journey as LSU is his third college. The Tigers also have an offense that includes running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire and a wide receiver corp that includes potential first round draft picks Justin Jefferson and Terrace Marshall. This offense has been unstoppable all season and their defense can stop anyone. Oklahoma will have a tough test when they face LSU on December 28th. 

Ohio State enters the playoff as the #2 seed, and as many experts’ favorite to win the national championship. They also boast an undefeated record of 13-0, and they have major wins against #21 Cincinnati, #10 Penn State, #12 Michigan, and two wins against #8 Wisconsin that includes a 34-21 victory in the Big 10 Championship. Both Ohio State and LSU were locks to be in the College Football Playoff entering conference championship weekend, regardless of the outcome of their conference championships. They are led by an outstanding offense led by quarterback Justin Fields, running back J.K. Dobbins, and wide receiver K.J. Hill, and an amazing defense led by Heisman candidate defensive-end Chase Young, who has had an absolute monster season, and is a top-three 2020 NFL draft prospect. They will do battle with a talent-filled Clemson team in the Fiesta Bowl on December 28th. 

Clemson enters the playoff as the #3 seed. The Tigers enter their fifth straight College Football Playoff with a 13-0 record, but their weak schedule is what makes them the number three seed. Their biggest win is in the ACC Championship game against #24 Virginia. Clemson also enters as the defending College Football National Champions. They are led by sophomore quarterback Trevor Lawrence who has had another great season after a rocky start. Also, they have running back Travis Etienne who broke many ACC rushing records, and wide receivers Justin Ross and Tee Higgins. They also boast an amazing defense that has stopped their opponents all season. However, they have not faced an offense like Ohio State’s and will have a really tough battle.

Finally, Oklahoma enters the playoff as the final #4 seed, and they are the only team in the playoff with a loss this season. Their loss came against unranked Kansas State, but they also boast wins against #7 Baylor and #25 Oklahoma State. Many experts doubted Oklahoma and picked teams such as Utah, Georgia, or Oregon to make the playoff over them. However, those three teams had their playoff hopes foiled by losses, helping Oklahoma get in. Oklahoma is also led by an explosive offense, led by Alabama-transfer quarterback Jalen Hurts and CeeDee Lamb who is considered one of the best wide receivers in the country. They face the toughest road to a national championship, as LSU is ranked the best team in the country. 

My opinion? Oklahoma does not stand a chance against the LSU Tigers. That game will end in a blowout win for LSU, as Oklahoma’s defense could very well get carved up, come the 28th. Clemson-Ohio State will definitely be a very close game. It is one of the most evenly matched games of the year, and though Ohio State is many experts’ favorite to win it all, I think Clemson will beat Ohio State in a hard fought battle. Therefore, my championship game would be LSU vs. Clemson, and I believe LSU will win the championship. To me, LSU has the best team in the country all around and they have played and won the toughest conference in the NCAA. Will LSU win? Will it be Ohio State, Clemson, or Oklahoma? Tune in to watch the College Football Playoff to find out, starting with the Chick-Fil-A Peach Bowl on December 28th at 4:00pm eastern time on ESPN.