Standardized Testing: Lions’ Thougts

Sydney McKissick

Standardized testing gets a lot of grief in the education community, but is it really as bad as students and teachers make it seem?

In the state of Virginia, a test like the SOL for Virginia Public Schools creates expectations for what students should know and be able to do at the end of each grade or course in English, Mathematics, Science, History/Social Science and other subjects.

Over the years debates have arisen regarding standardized test taking.  Some say that schools should test less, while others say that the tests are good for children, families, and schools. During the course of the school year students and teachers may face the pressure that comes with learning and preparing for an important test.

Mrs. Trevino, a Biology teacher, expressed feelings about standardized tests, saying, “I think it has its place, but it does put a lot of pressure on teachers and students to succeed  and teach towards a test.”

Mrs. Trevino also added, “We are constantly guessing at what is going to be on the next test and how we best prepare our students for success.”

Madame Walborn, a French I and II teacher, explained that countless schools put too much dependence and importance on the test and spend much of the school year doing them and preparing for them.

“It’s good to know where every student is at and to compare across the country, but, I really would rather see kids learn how to problem solve and think creatively,” said Walborn.

Joshua McKissick, a Tallwood Senior, shared his experience about testing, explaining that he thinks the tests prove how good one’s memorization skills are and not the genuine knowledge of what they were taught.

Some students revealed that standardized tests aren’t the best, saying they have other things to worry about such as homework, quizzes, and other tests. Students feel as though they don’t need to be pressured about a test that contains things we may have forgotten over the year. But to others, they think that standardized testing is necessary because it helps students prepare for major tests like the SATs.