Mr. Tallwood a Fun Outlet for Comedic Expression

Ariana Hernandez

Mr. Tallwood, a pageant here at THS, is coming to students in April. To students, Mr. Tallwood is more than just a pageant.

Mr. Tallwood is a male pageant at THS and has been since 2010-2011. The pageant was formed after other schools started doing it, but what makes Tallwood’s unique is that it has a comedic tone. Students participating in the pageant will compete for the title of Mr. Tallwood. If you’re interested in joining, applications are due February 8th in room 212. The first meeting is February 22nd, and practices will be held on Wednesdays.

“We did have people sign up, but they didn’t show up to practices and they were all dropping out so there was no Mr. Tallwood last year,” said Renae Ramos, the coordinator of Mr. Tallwood. It is important that participants are consistent with practice attendance and committed to joining Mr. Tallwood.

When asked if she thinks Mr. Tallwood will motivate contestants to join a pageant outside of school, Ramos said “I think it will get them more motivated to be involved other things, but I hope it will help them to stay involved with our school.”

“I want to express my talents to people,” stated Jamyl Barnes, a junior at Tallwood,when asked why he wants to be a part of the pageant.

Grade level captains are in charge of the grade they’re assigned to. A grade level captain keeps everyone on task and makes sure they have everything ready when Ramos assigns due dates, like if their dances are on track and everything is making good progress.

“I enjoy getting involved, and I love to help out with events like this. I love contributing to Tallwood and making memories while I do it,” said Cassidy O’neal, Sophomore and 2019 class president.

To some, Mr. Tallwood is the sweet release of a break from all the homework and stress from classes. To others, Mr. Tallwood is a chance to been seen by the school and express themselves. Mr. Tallwood also might be a chance to be funny and joke around.  No matter what the reason, Mr. Tallwood is an experience for everyone.