Football Conditioning Begins

Tyler Dennis, Staff Writer

The boys’ conditioning for football started Tuesday, January 17th, 2017. The meeting took place outside of the LMC and moved it’s way to the gym as the lions began their exercises and weight training.

Conditioning will take place Monday through Thursday, from 2:30 P.M to 4:50 P.M when the buses leave. Activity buses will take students to their bus stops after school, and leave at 5:00 P.M. This will give students the most time to self improve, and really get working.

When asked, students gave their opinion about conditioning.

“Conditioning is a great thing for athletes to do early in the season,” stated Sebien Stone, student and athlete at Tallwood High School. “It helps you get better.”

“I feel like it got us ready for the upcoming season. Coach Joe, Coach Cherry, and Coach Martinez made sure that when we got to the fourth quarter, we would be able to play to our fullest potential. You get out what you put in,” said Richard Ruffin, Tallwood High School senior and varsity football player.

Conditioning isn’t just about hitting the weight room. It includes a lot of safety procedures.

“The first thing is always thinking of how can I prevent somebody or how can we prevent someone getting hurt, and that’s the reason why, this year, I chose the approach of the freshmen and newcomers doing a 20 minute session with Coach Mitchell to make sure they know the proper way, not only to lift, but talking about spotting someone when their lifting to make sure y’know, if the weights too heavy, or if you’re doing something, they’re picking it up the wrong way, it’s fine as long as you have a spotter, you’re pretty much not going to get hurt,” said Coach Martinez, Head Coach of Strength and Conditioning.

Conditioning is also available for not just returners, but for newcomers too.

For newcomers and freshmen, there are 20 minute sessions with Coach Mitchell on proper technique, spotting, and overall tips he can give. They’re focus is getting proper technique, and more bulk to build on, so less weight, and more reps to perfect the exercise or weight lifting.

For returners; sophomores, juniors, and seniors, will be working with av hybrid workout called

the “5-3-1” this workout is more of a higher weight, less rep, weight lifting because they have already worked on technique and posture.