Blessing Bags Provide Opportunity to Give Back

Aniyah Lewis, News Editor

During this holiday season, the Tallwood Class of 2020 has been collecting toiletries for Blessing Bags, which are large plastic bags filled with items such as socks, chapstick and deodorant.  

It was created by Vertical Church in November of this year to aid the less fortunate in the surrounding seven cities. It is a new community service project that comes at a time of year that is no stranger to the usual holiday food drives and packed soup kitchen lines.

Regarding Vertical Church’s new initiative, Mrs. Dorothy Varela, Class of 2020 sponsor, says “They wanted to do something a little different that would help Hampton Roads.”

In search of unique ways to give back, the freshman class reached out to the church. They set up donation boxes throughout the school and asked their fellow lions to donate the various necessities.

“The blessing bags are not just an opportunity for the class of 2020, but for the Tallwood Lions, to give back to their local community in need,” says Aaron Mckinney, Freshman class Co-Vice President.

For anyone who is interested in donating, see the donation box in the main office,  The class of 2020 is looking for donations of socks, hand-warmers, bottled water, deodorant, chapstick, toothpaste, toothbrushes, washcloths, and non-perishable foods.  See Mrs. Varela for more information.

Photo courtesy of Mrs. Varela.