Lit Mag Offers Students an Outlet for Creative Expression

Bethany Hansel, Features Editor

In school, it is not often that students get the chance to express themselves effectively and assemble their creative thoughts into something that is fun and meaningful to them. Students find themselves restricted by guidelines that force them to write about something they are unlikely to truly care about simply in order to obtain a decent grade.

It can be endlessly frustrating as a student to have their knowledge and creativity stuffed into a box. It is important that students receive the chance to be creatively challenged and explore the boundless realms of their imagination; something that the literary magazine provides the optimal opportunity for.

The students who appreciate writing and want to expand their creative horizons while practicing their writing skills are encouraged to try their hand at the monthly writing competitions the literary magazine holds. Students compete against other gifted and inventive students for different prizes and recognition in the club’s magazine, but the fact that it is a competition should not scare anyone off from submitting a piece.

Each piece of writing is carefully looked at and admired by the students in the club, who claim picking a winner is often very difficult, for a great deal of talent is revealed through these competitions. Therefore, all students are welcome to participate, for the accepting and fun-loving members of the literary magazine are always ecstatic to read the carefully crafted words and beautifully expressed thoughts that students are willing to share with them.

Creative writing is something that the members of the literary magazine have deemed to be a challenging and greatly enjoyable feat that serves an important purpose in student life. Jacob Beardsley, the president of the literary magazine, states, “Lit mag gives people the chance to think critically about about stories in the most fun way possible. It allows students to create content that might be messy and might not be the best, but it’s really fun regardless, and that’s what this is really about; having fun thinking about interesting things.”

Photo courtesy of Mr. Matthew Denvir.