Tallwood WorldQuest Places Third

Marcie Fennell, Staff Writer

On November 17, the Tallwood WorldQuest team gave our Lion family yet another reason to “roar the loudest and be the proudest” by taking third place in the citywide WorldQuest competition.

WorldQuest, also known formally as Academic WorldQuest, is a flagship program of The World Affairs Council of America that thousands of high school students nationwide partake in annually to test their knowledge of foreign policy and global issues. If the students pass state, they go to nationals where they are to focus on a variety of preset topics and questions to win. Some of the 2015-2016 national competition topics were food security, NATO, and privacy during the digital age.

Although Norfolk Academy placed 1st and Princess Anne 2nd, the Tallwood Lions were, according the club’s sponsor, the most enthusiastic about competing.

“The most exciting thing in my opinion is not the score, but the attitude of the students.” stated Mrs. LaRoue. After the Monday’s 3rd place victory, the outgoing students went as far as creating a remind account to prepare for next year’s competition completely unprompted by their coach. They also planned out the roles of each student for the upcoming school year.

Mrs. LaRoue, coach of WorldQuest, exclaimed, “I’m super excited now for the possibilities of this motivated team! I think we’ll be at Nationals for the next two years if they keep this up.”

By the sounds of it, LaRoue could not be more right. The WorldQuest team is proof that the Tallwood Lions will continue to bring pride to our school.

Photo by Mrs. LaRoue.