Time Management is Worth the Stress

Haylee Burel, Staff Writer

A majority of teenagers struggle with managing their time wisely with all of the tasks/activities they take upon themselves for each school year. Over the past year, I have personally experienced balancing multiple activities into my life, which has resulted in me becoming a better, more well-rounded version of myself. I have balanced multiple honor societies, clubs, and jobs along with the other basic aspects of my life, such as school work and maintaining a social life– all while trying to get some sleep each night. Most people may look at me and wonder, “How does she do it?” Well the very simple answer to that question is: time management.

Though time management is very important when it comes to having multiple activities and tasks to deal with at once, it can also be very difficult at times.  Even with the right time management skills, some things still aren’t able to get done. Some nights one may have to choose between two very important things, just because the amount of time in a day doesn’t permit for them to finish everything.  Time management, though very helpful, is also very stressful.

There have been multiple instances throughout the school year where I have had extracurriculars after school, work until about eleven at night, then at least two hours of homework. This is a prime example of how having so many activities on a single plate can be so stressful. Constantly worrying about whether or not you have time to get everything done and still attempting a good night of sleep takes its toll on the teenage body. In order to make sure everything gets done in a timely manner, one has to balance each activity to a tee. This shows just how bad a majority of teenagers are when it comes to “biting off more than we can chew.”  And this is why time management is even more important than we think it may be.

Other than all of the stress and sleepless nights that come with taking upon so many activities; it has been proven to be well worth it. For those who have a busier schedule, it’s proven that they are the ones who are more prepared for “the real world” and the stress that comes with everyday tasks. No matter where one goes or what they do in their lifetime, time management is a key trait that helps everyone in almost all of their scenarios. Not only does time management in high school help when it comes to the future and the outside world, but it also helps with colleges. Colleges tend to look for more well-rounded students.  Therefore, those who are more involved or have more on their plate are also better off when it comes to applying to colleges.

Time management, whether it’s deemed to be worth the stress or not, does help one’s life tremendously. Whether it comes to the real world or one’s future, knowing how to balance time appropriately can be very beneficial. A majority of teenagers nowadays face the problem of time management with all of the activities they are involved in. Even though balancing so many activities at once may be hard and very complicated, it is most definitely worth the stress, as it betters you in the long run.