Academy Night Attracts Prospective Students, Parents

Donya Lechqer, Staff Writer

On November 2, 2016, Academy night was held at Tallwood High School. The purpose of this event was to attract prospective students to apply to the Global Studies World Languages Academy.

Many prospective students seemed excited by the prospect of diversity, traveling, and being academically challenged. One parent also said they wanted their child to be “academically challenged” and for there to be opportunities for a myriad of extra curricular activities.

Another parent said they were excited for their child to attend because of the “exposure to international travel” and the access to the languages, citing a “shortfall in lack of language experience in US education.”

Mrs. Dossett, an AP Human Geography teacher at THS, said some of the worthy attributes of the academy are, “many opportunities if [one is] willing to try new things, and a broadened global perspective [due to] guest speakers, JWAC, MUN, service clubs, foreign language, and honor societies.”

Bret Dawson says about the academy, “no career specification, everything you do here is useful, [you build] long lasting relationships and international contacts.”

The deadline for applications will be later this Winter, at which point the Global Studies and World Languages Academy will see how many students applied.