Teachers Offer Perspective on Extra Credit

Donyale Wright, Staff Writer

In my last article, I had discussed my own personal opinion on receiving extra credit and why it should always be an opportunity.  Now, I asked Tallwood teachers what were their perspectives on extra credit opportunities.

First, I asked Mrs. LaRoue, who is a GSWLA teacher that teaches AP World History I, her thoughts on extra credit.  “Well, sometimes students work really hard to master a topic, but they would still need more time to do so,” she explained.  “I personally think providing extra credit opportunities helps them be able to do this, such as listening to a lecture.”

Next, I had asked Madame Walborn, who teaches French I and II.  Her response was, “The reason why I give out extra credit opportunities is for more learning and enrichment.  I also think it can be encouraging.  For example, if you do the extra credit, I’ll give you bonbons! (Which translates to “candy”).

Lastly, I received an opinion from a teacher who wished to remain anonymous.  “I honestly think that students wouldn’t need it if they turn in their work on time!” they explained to me.  “My thought is if you have the time to do the extra credit, then you should’ve had the time to do the actual work.”

When I was told this, I gained a whole new perspective on why some teachers decide to stop providing extra credit.  “Now if the teacher can see that the student is trying their hardest to do well in their class but still isn’t happy with their grade, then that is when extra credit is acceptable.  But if the student is missing five assignments in the gradebook, then no, they should’ve done the assignments in the first place,” they had also stated, which I completely understand.

Some might agree or disagree with these three statements, which is perfectly fine.  Most students would probably say that extra credit should always be an opportunity while teachers would disagree with that statement.  Or it could be the other way around!  It all depends on personal experiences/beliefs.