District Superintendent Outlines Proposed Changes

Aniyah Lewis, News Editor

On Thursday, October 13th, Dr. Aaron Spence, Superintendent of the Virginia Beach City Public Schools system, held a journalism press conference in which a panel of staff writers and editors from each school newspaper were invited to field questions.

The questions ranged from topics such as school start times to Compass to 2020.  For about 2 hours, Dr. Spence was fairly transparent about school policies, their implementations, as well as their ramifications.

The discussion opened with the topic of new school start times, which has been in talks for years already. Dr. Spence plans to speak to the school board in January in hopes of pushing High School start times to after 8 am. However, he stated, “It does require community effort,” and he is therefore at the mercy of the board. He hopes to implement it for the school year of 2017-2018, but that is still in the works.

He passionately veered the conversation to the effects of the strategic guideline of the schools, known as Compass to 2020. Compass to 2020 serves as the framework for the Virginia Beach City Public School System. The goals include high academic expectations, multiple pathways, social-emotional development, and culture of growth and excellence to prepare for college and the workforce. Its creation was infused with promotion of digital literacy.

Along with the advocacy of technology come the implementation of Digital Age Anchor Schools. Among them are Tallwood Elementary School, Great Neck Middle School, and Kempsville High School.  These will afford students with “new” and “authentic” opportunities regarding the use of computer technology.  Dr. Spence states, “Technology allows for creative, collaborative, learning experiences.” Therefore, in these schools, technology is used in ways that foster growth and revere change.

Growing ever so surely is the immersion of STEM, sustainability, and green practices. Thus, green schools have been created, according to Dr.Spence, “to provide learning environments where we can teach sustainable living and take the reigns on teaching about sustainability.”

In the hands of Dr. Spence, schools are changing, and the effects are sure to be seen in the near future.

Photo courtesy of Lauren Nolasco, taken February 9, 2016 during Dr. Spence’s visit to “The Roaring Gazette.”