The GSWLA Fosters Understanding, Prosperity

Donya Lechqer, Staff Writer

In Virginia Beach City Public Schools, academies provide an opportunity for students to focus their studies if they have already chosen a desired career or major. Also, they can provide students with the information they need to see if that career path is appropriate or interesting for them. According to the Virginia Beach Public Schools website, academies are, “[an] exciting expansion of curricular options for all students across the city.”

The Global Studies World Languages Academy at Tallwood High School focuses on the study of international relations, political structure, culture, and how they’re all connected. According to the GSWLA website, “The Global Studies and World Languages Academy at Tallwood High School will prepare students to contribute to the world community through multicultural and international perspectives in languages, geography, history, politics, and economics. This world-class education will create the world-class citizens of tomorrow.”

One might dismiss this academy because they think they are not interested in becoming a diplomat or international business person. This is a misconception, because in this figuratively shrinking world, we need to appreciate and understand our cultural differences so that business transactions can occur in the most productive manner. Also, influential international governing bodies such as the UN or NATO need people who understand how culture affects countries’ decisions to most effectively avoid war, promote economic growth, and uphold environmental protection deals.

This knowledge can be applied to any career because an employee needs to know how to deal with people of different demographics from themselves. In politics or anything international, knowledge of how and why countries make decisions is beneficial.  A student becomes more impressive because of their unique experiences, which in turn allows for more opportunities. Finally, students are more likely to prosper when they are not only exposed to diversity, but are taught to see it.