Brewing Up Success

Brewing Up Success

Ethan Wentzell, Staff Writer

The Lion’s Brew is a café where you can buy various breakfast items and coffee. However, to the students and teachers who run the program, it is much more than that.

For students with with special needs, the Lion’s Brew is a class. According to Dr. Starkes, “Our program is important because we offer special needs students the opportunity to build their social skills, their employability skills, in order to build their confidence to function in the real world.” The Lion’s Brew is designed to help students learn real-world business skills, so, after they graduate from high school, they can get jobs and lead productive lives.

On the surface it appears to be just a café. They are open from 7:15 to 10:00 A.M. One of the many cool features of the Lion’s Brew is the delivery of your order directly to your class. If you thought that the Lion’s Brew was just for teachers, then you’re wrong! The Lion’s Brew is for students as well. You can buy things from them before first block or between first and second block.

Teachers love the program. Mr. Denvir, English teacher, says, “It is a great convenience, and I look forward to my coffee every morning.” Mr. Denvir uses the online ordering tool by going to the shortcuts folder and filling out the survey. His coffee or tea is delivered to his classroom, steaming hot, during first block.

The Lion’s Brew is a great program that should be continued for many years to come. It helps students with special needs hone the abilities they need for post-grad life. And teachers like it for the convenient and consistent service it provides.