Ramblings from the Courtyard Corner: Your Weekly Dose of Weird

Nicholas Bausas, Columnist

The first couple hours of the morning, one paper already issued. Moving onto the next bell, another assignment issued. Upon entering the third bell, a surprise; not just one issued, but two! By the time the fourth and final hours roll over, you just want to go home. Of course, you will go home, but not without two more papers… Floods of lined paper, urging the student for the attention that shall cost roughly five hours of their afternoon. Oh, well that doesn’t seem so hard of a task. No worries, there are two days to complete five hours’ worth of work. What makes matters even better is that the number doubles the next day.

If it has taken me so long to put this down, I sincerely apologize. My spare time has been deprived of late, specifically since September. Recently has been, “on the edge,” so to speak; these past several weeks have been so tense and discouraging. How my might colleagues react, should I fail to fulfill my duty as a Tallwood Lion? It would become easier if my school gave me one task at a time. Instead, however, I have been given six. So where do I begin?

Without speaking a lie, most of us are guilty of it. The twelfth hour of a Wednesday night and still, nothing comes to mind as the fingers reaches out to press the keys, and signal the cursor to bring the letters your masters are longing to read. The task you have been given isn’t of mere originality, but of raw information to match. Earlier that day, it wasn’t your fault; from the inside of a small box of concrete, empty space broke loose, with the polar bear dancing in the snow storm. From the back of the room, all those fancy expressions from the bearded man sounded like mindless babbling to youthful ears. What went wrong remains beyond your memory, and a sip from a can of Coke won’t bring it back. But you try so desperately to stay awake and finish that report. In the end, however, the lethargic sensation runs its course, and in your dreams, you wonder, “How is any of this even relevant to my life?”

On the contrary, isn’t it thrilling? For by the grace of the silver moon, an uncertain energy takes hold of the toil-beaten corpus; the right amount to pull every mortal through the deceptive barriers of a forsaken era. With a rush of adrenaline to the psyche, a hidden knowledge, false but consistent, shall take the vacant space time left empty. The groundwork of the Conservatoire wants the individual to believe that knowledge is earned through industry. Industry leads only to vanity. And what the individual learns from the inside, they will fill find on the outside.

Life outside of school should remain more eminent than life inside. School is only one of six social institutions that takes a portion of my daily life. Students do not have enough time in their day to yield attention to one social institution; they also have friends and family to look after. Do not overstep your boundaries. Call us lazy; call us thankless, irresponsible, overconfident, good-for-nothing procrastinators. Such labels cannot do away with the intruding and senseless displeasure we weigh in our beating hearts. I have a life. Now, if you’ll excuse me, it is late, and I have a project to work on.