Do grades motivate students?

Khyannia Banks

In an Utopian world grades would be a perfect measurement of a student’s overall understanding of the material, but, due to all the underlying factors that go into grades, that is not always the case.

Accomplishing good grades is a helpful goal to strive for, but sometimes, when that is the only focus, the true value of school is lost in the mix.

Whether you get good grades or not, if you’re not learning those grades become a little less meaningful. They might get you into a good college, but high school also teaches some life skills that, for some of us, might come in handy.

In High School, simply achieving isn’t the purpose; the purpose can also be to take joy from the process. Yes, grades do have a big impact on one’s success, but they aren’t everything nor do they define anyone.

We are all more than just a grade.

So if you get good grades, that’s awesome. But for those of us who don’t, although we may feel like failures, we aren’t because grades are certainly not a 100% accurate report of one’s intellect, and even if they were they are still not an evaluation of a student but, ideally, of how well a student can demonstrate their knowledge.

Students have strong opinions on the issue. Sophomore Victoria Edlan is critical of grades.

“Teachers mostly grade on a point system rather than evaluating what they learned or what is most valuable,” says Edlan.

She adds, “Some teachers deduct points based on when a student turns an assignment in. In this instance a student can fully understand the material, but the grade tells a different story.”

Mrs. Graham, a Tallwood Math teacher, stated her thoughts on grades, saying, “Grades are primarily about testing and some students don’t test well, but some students like to use that as an excuse. Grades might not reflect a student at a particular time because other things might be happening.”

“Students need to understand a teacher’s structure and use that to their advantage if they don’t test well. A lot of times students don’t test well because they don’t put in enough practice or effort,” says Graham. Mrs. Graham strongly believes that students also have a part in their success.

Mrs Matney, the Chemistry and AP Chemistry teacher, has a different perspective. “I definitely think the grades and grading system are watered down based on the pressures. I do feel like I work harder at my student’s reflecting at their mistakes so they have a second chance,” says Matney.

She adds, “Honestly, they have asked teachers to do much without the resources and time.Unfortunately I can’t meet the needs of all the student’s when they give me more to do and the same expectations.”

Perhaps it’s good to have that balance where grades are important but not everything.

Questions to ponder: Are there alternatives to grades that would motivate students and be accurate representations of their work? or Is there any way grades could be improved?

Below are the stories included in Volume 3, Issue 4 of The Roaring Gazette:

Tallwood to try a one lunch schedule by Aniyah Lewis

Drugs at Tallwood: An honest conversation by Noelani Stachurski

Tallwood students react to recent state election by Chris Purkiss

Lion Voices: What is your favorite class? by Frances Summers

Meet a Lion: Mrs. Zhang by Mitchell Durant

Do grades motivate students? by Khyannia Banks

Meet a Lion: Mr. Jason Ordonio by Aaliyah Alli

U.S. should recognize the contributions of Latina women by Ashley Archila-Ventura

“Kevin (probably) Saves the World” is (definitely) worth your time by Morgana Nicholson

Don’t bother boarding this train by Ashley Mallinson

Blandness reigns at the multiplex by Ashley Mallinson