Controversial Courtyard Closings Confuse

Austin Luciani

Ah the courtyard; such a beautiful place to be when there’s a hurricane or tornado. Wait whaaaat?

The courtyard, for the longest time, was closed down because of how cold it was outside. This is alright, as the school staff have to watch the students outside for safety. However, it is quite bizarre how the courtyard is closed when it’s sunny and warm but open when it’s cloudy and freezing. Uhh is there something wrong with this picture? Warm and sunny closed but cold and damp open?

It is usually a really good thing to have the courtyard open, especially when it’s warm and sunny. Students can relax a bit before any big assignments or socialize with a friend they may or may not see on a daily basis. Students can get access to about thirty minutes of fresh air and sun if it’s out. It’s quite healthy, actually, getting vitamin D that I’m sure many students need. I know I do.

The courtyard is basically the recess of high school. Students can go out and talk to their friends, socialize and relax during vicious tornadoes. I mean uh… sunshine, lovely sunshine. Anyway it appears that the courtyard is sometimes opened and closed at the strangest times. Every lunch I’d sit and listen to the announcements waiting for someone to say: “Alright people the courtyard is closed. The courtyard is closed.” Then my friends and I get sad and we cry… Not too much, of course.

After a while I stopped listening to the announcements and sort of forgot we even had a courtyard. My friend walked up to me and said: “Hey the courtyard is open.” I turn around and it’s like the twilight zone. “Whaaaat? We have a courtyard still? No way!” Tallwood lions are more like Tallwood vamps when it comes to the courtyard. I can ask about the courtyard and someone would go “HSSSSSSSS!” Ah get the garlic!

There’s no specific schedule for the courtyard, either; it is kind of a random dealio. But it would be nice if we could be told when it was open and closed rather than just being told when it’s closed. Most days we all just sit down and stare at the door waiting to see if it’s open.

Everyday students were told about the courtyard being closed, I started making fun of it. Yes, yes, guilty as charged, but it was fun. Oh no the sun is out, quick close the courtyard! Or oh no a twig fell off a tree, close the courtyard! Look! An F5 Tornado is heading right for us! Courtyard is open. Now, obviously, these reasons are fake and made up, but it did seem like the courtyard was closed and opened at strange times. It would be nice and sunny outside, but the doors were closed and locked. For the love of lions we need the sun!