Tallwood Hosts Area Middle Schools for Model U.N. Conference

Kayla Smith

On February 25th, for the first time ever since the start of the program, middle and high school students attended the Tallwood High School Model United Nations Conference (THSMUNC) at Tallwood High.

This year’s THSMUNC was hosted by Elizabeth Mitchell, in part to her Senior project.

THSMUNC is a simulation of how the United Nations deliberate certain issues around the world. In Tallwood, there were four committees being held such as: the World Health Organization in the library, the NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) Crisis committee in room 144, the Human Rights Council in room 138, and finally the SOCHUM (Social, Cultural, and Humanitarian) Committee held in room 300.

Elizabeth Mitchell, Secretary General of THSMUNC says, “First, I hope it helps their public speaking skills and that they will be informed on an issue that they hadn’t really thought of before. I also hope they continue to do Model UN (United Nations) in the future.” She then continues on to say how she wants them to have an open mindset because she does realize how difficult it is representing a country, other than your own.

As stated by Elizabeth earlier, each of the four areas were designated for a certain issue. In the library, The World Health Organization, they were discussing how quality health care could be spread around the world.

Ashley Farinha, a Sophomore in the academy at Tallwood High, that was in the library said, “We came in with research and whoever is representing their country came up with a proposal or resolution to a problem. If another country has a similar problem and they agree to the resolution, you will sign off on it.”

Another area that was conducting a “meeting of nations,” and forming caucuses (groups to discuss the given issue or topic at hand) was room 144, The NATO Crisis Committee. They were deliberating what to do with Syrian refugees, ISIS, and the rise of xenophobia(the intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries).

Reagan Templeton, a sixth grader from Saint Matthews Catholic Middle School says, “We are discussing the issue with the Syrian refugees and whether or not we should take them into our countries.”

The students that attended THSMUNC took away so much from their experience.
Much of them were persuaded to attend for various reasons from interest in history to a teacher going that extra mile.

Taneao Smith, an eighth grader from Bayside Middle School said, “I am a big fan of
social studies and based on my grades and how well I do in class, my teacher persuaded me to come and join. I thought I’d give it a try to help improve my public speaking and to learn more about issues going on in the world.”

Not only did the students hope to gain a different perspective and take away many
more qualities, but the teachers were hoping it would enlighten them and allow them to take away something much bigger. Experience.

Deborah Welker, a Civics teacher at Bayside Middle School said, “I think the impact
has already started with the five representatives, or delegates that we have here today. They’re coming out and talking very passionately on their break about their assigned countries. Taking this back to our school, in civics, we talk a bit about the UN so I believe this will be beneficial to those students who came.”

Elizabeth Mitchell was running the program, but she had help from a select few to
ensure that each area was properly functioning. Some of the select students included were Eliza Cohen, Brandon Thomas, Dailyn Molina, Eva Castillo, and Marielle Djamou.

Matthew Denvir, an English and Journalism teacher at Tallwood High said, “I was
approached at the beginning of the year to be a sponsor for the club. Which all that really means is, I kind of worked with Elizabeth to make sure that it went the way she wanted. But, this is really Elizabeth Mitchell’s project.”

Elizabeth has allowed the theme and overall message of Tallwood High to be
absorbed in the mind of our younger schools, by giving them this opportunity to attend this year’s THSMUNC. Not only did she give them a new perspective she gave them insight, experience, and began a new tradition. We expect THSMUNC to grow in years to come, following and adding on to the tradition Elizabeth Mitchell created this year.

Photo by Mr. Matthew Denvir.