Tallwood Student Reflects on Leadership Award

Aniyah Lewis

On February 15, Tallwood Senior Enya Pfeiffer received the Harry F. Byrd Leadership award in Richmond, Virginia. The Roaring Gazette has this interview with Pfeiffer about the experience, the GSWLA, and Tallwood High School

Aniyah Lewis, News Editor from the Roaring Gazette: When did you receive the award?
Enya Pfeiffer, Harry F. Byrd Jr Leadership Award Recipient, Tallwood Senior: I received the email announcing that I won the Harry F. Byrd Jr. Leadership Award on January 23rd! I then traveled to Richmond on February 15th to accept my award at the Supreme Court of Virginia.

AL: How did the award come into existence?
EP: The scholarship is in honor of Harry F. Byrd Jr., who served our country in the military and public office and exemplified leadership qualities in everything he pursued. As byrdleadershipaward.org states, “Senator Byrd established this leadership award program because of his deep conviction that a strong system of public education is essential to democratic government, and that cultivating leadership among young citizens advances both education and government.”

AL: What does it mean to you?
EP: This scholarship was a tangible result of my hard work and dedication to excelling in school. To see that my effort in classes and in extracurriculars amounted to something incredibly fulfilling. Money has been an obstacle, especially in regards to my future education. The scholarship makes all the difference to me and my parents and means that I am able to be just slightly less worried about future financial struggles.

AL:What did it feel like to receive it?
EP: I was completely overwhelmed with excitement when I received the award. I felt humbled and immensely honored to have received an award based on merit and leadership. I was genuinely surprised, as I knew the other candidates were equally deserving of this award. I was sitting in class when I received the email, and it took all of my willpower to suppress tears of gratitude to have received such a prestigious award.

AL: What opportunities do you believe the academy has forwarded you that have helped you to achieve this?
EP: The vast majority of what made my application unique was because of the travel opportunities and global perspective that the Global Studies Academy provided for me. The academy has allowed me to learn languages such as German, Russian, and Arabic. While interviewing, speaking about my academy senior project topic (how to teach empathy in the classroom) allowed the interviewers to gain insight into my passion and heart. Without the academy, my resume would not be as full of diverse, incredible opportunities that I have been given by the academy.

AL: How has Tallwood geared you toward success?
EP: Tallwood High School has become my home. The teachers have challenged and pushed me as I sought to be the best I could be. Every single one of my teachers has impacted and shaped me into a leader. The Student Council Association within Tallwood has surrounded me with ambitious, hardworking students whom I am honored to call my friends. The environment at Tallwood has allowed me to always feel at home and has played a pivotal role in molding me into the person I am today.

AL: What tools do you believe high school has equipped you with?
EP: With it’s incredible faculty, challenging courses, and diverse student population, Tallwood has taught me the importance of kindness and dedication. Having empathy for those that you meet changes everything, and Tallwood showed me how much of a difference a smile at a stranger in the hallway can make. High school has equipped me with what I need to be a successful, hardworking, compassionate citizen of the world, and I could not be more thankful to attend Tallwood High School.

Photo of Mrs. Jenna Free and Enya Pfeiffer.